There are NO stupid questions...right?

<p>My dad says the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, yet I feel really blonde about asking this one. </p>

<p>What does a "single" or a "double" or a "triple" or a "quad" or a "suite" dorm room mean exactly? I could never figure that out. Someone help me!</p>

<p>(I hope it's okay to post this here...it IS related to college but not really under any of the other forums about college, so...)</p>

<p>single = fits one person
double = two people</p>

<p>and so on ...</p>

<p>single - you get you own room
double - you share with another student
triple - you share with two other students
quad - four people share, but what they share may vary from school to school </p>

<p>Suites may also vary from school to school. I understand a suite to be a common room for studying and socializing with small single bedrooms attached.</p>

<p>I remember rooming blind (that means you don't give any preference and they just give you whatever with whomever!) and my first day in my new dorm I had a quad. It was just a slightly larger than average dorm room with 2 bunkbeds and 4 people in it!! I got out of there as quick as I could!! I would definitely ask for the definition of "suite" because it can vary from place to place. I had a single where I could touch both walls at the same time (with one toe and one hand). It was tiny, but I was the only "single" resident.</p>

<p>Actually, the saying that "there are no stupid questions" is not altogether true. Try asking admission interviewers questions on topics that are easily found on the college's web site.</p>

<p>Taxguy, you are brutal. Try asking the (real) taxguy if you should declare more than 50% of your tips as income!</p>

<p>NJres, any "real" taxguy ( which I am as a tax lawyer) should tell you to declare everything, or they will go to jail without passing go! LOL</p>

<p>AND those rooming situations can be quite complicated. In son's dorm, a double is one room with two beds and two desks. A triple is two connected rooms with 3 beds in one room and 3 desks in the other (subject to furniture rearranging of course). The school also has triples that are 3 to a room, as well, of course, as two room doubles, suites....the lists go on and on. Usually a suite is a set of bedrooms with a common room for lounging, studying, etc.</p>

<p>Hah! At least I get a <em>bit</em> of an excuse for my ignorance in the complicatedness you just explained. O:-) But thanks everyone, I just really wanted to know. My mom gets mad at me sometimes for asking questions about every detail...but I want to know the details! </p>

<p>Oh, and on this: </p>

<p>"Actually, the saying that "there are no stupid questions" is not altogether true. Try asking admission interviewers questions on topics that are easily found on the college's web site." </p>

<p>I would assert that such questions aren't stupid, but getting an answer from the wrong/least efficient source is.</p>

<p>If you want to find out what the particular college means go to its website, then to its residence hall page, and then to a particular halll and if see if they have room dimensions; very often it will give you a drawing of what each type of room looks like and its size.</p>

<p>Destinypath, I was not stating or implying that your question was stupid. I just wanted to make that clear. I am still uncertainly what a quad is. I can't imagine any school stupid or even greedy enough to put 4 people in one room</p>

<p>destinypath,</p>

<p>as for adcoms and stupid questions, i think the point is that you want to be prepared when asking an expert a question. It is ok to not understand something, but you at least want to have investigated to the best of your ability prior to posing the question. </p>

<p>taxguy,</p>

<p>quad rooms are not unusual these days. The room sizes are not all the same, so a room with 4 people is larger than a room intended for 2.</p>

<p>A quad may be four people in a room, but at some schools like Bowdoin, it's really a suite: four people, each with their own SINGLE room, a common room, plus TWO bathrooms!</p>

<p>My daughter is in a quad now (her choice) at her college and she was in one her last quarter in the spring. It's a HUGE room, with alcoves and windows. Beds aren't bunked and it's still roomy. Every college is different.</p>

<p>Points well taken and once again, thanks. :-)</p>

<p>At D's college the freshman dorm buildings are mostly old, sometimes even olde. Thus the room sizes and configurations are irregular. Things like fire escapes and even bathrooms were added after the original 18th and 19th century construction, taking space away from some rooms and suites and not others. There are various versions and permutations of single, double, triple, and quad - some quite roomy and some rather cramped. Some have common rooms and some don't. I don't think any two rooms in any dorm are exactly the same. What you get is what you get.</p>

<p>This is not at all meant to be a comment on destinypath's question, but I have certainly heard questions asked on college tours that made me roll my eyes and remind myself I'm a peaceful person. The worst question, which I heard asked on two different tours, was : What majors do you have?</p>

<p>Mine has a beautiful corner room with windows on each side. The house has all kinds of special rooms in the basement that were created when Julie Nixon lived in the house, and the Secret Service agents needed a place to sleep. </p>

<p>There is one house at Smith that dates from the 1720s. And another that, apparently, at one time was a house of ill-repute. (No, it isn't Mt. Holyoke!)</p>