Third quarter of Humanities?

<p>Spring quarter rolls in soon, and with it comes the question: third quarter of Hum or not?</p>

<p>Basically, I think I'll go into business, graduate econ or graduate public policy/government studies. I'm not sure if the full year of English will help, or 2/3 a year of English harm, any of these. Would anyone know about that?</p>

<p>In addition, what grad programs require or recommend the full year of English? As a fledging first-year, who knows where I'll be in 3 years, right?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>A full year of English matters for med school. Industry (business) couldn't give a ****. I assume this is true for grad. econ as well.</p>

<p>I think it's recommended for pre-med. Some people in your situation drop hum like it's hot, but I adored hum and did it full year.</p>

<p>What hum are you in, and what's the reading list for third quarter? Who are the profs teaching? Would you be cool with a full year of civ, or two art/music/drama requirements?</p>

<p>I opted out of the third quarter of humanities mainly because I wasn't interested in any of the topics and I wanted to go abroad for my civ requirement. Going abroad means three quarters of civ so you can take two quarters of hum.</p>

<p>Which hum? Do you know who your professor will be, and do you like that professor? Are you planning on studying abroad for civ?</p>

<p>Nope! Language and the Human has no third quarter. :(</p>

<p>Read evaluations for the professor, skim your coming reading list, then decide. </p>

<p>If you find out later that you need third quarter, and you didn't want to take it first year... guess what, you can pick it back up and take third quarter.</p>

<p>At the end of the day, it's basically just a free A. I remember taking Greek Thought & Lit, writing 2-3 pg papers without reading the books (I have since read them on my own time because they are interesting, I just didn't want to let the class ruin them) when "7-10 pages" were required, and getting A-A+</p>

<p>Hum is a joke. It's up to you as to whether you have anything better to do.</p>

<p>Cesare, all hum professors are different, assign different amounts of reading and grade on different scales. My grades on essays that I self-evaluated as similar in quality have differed up to a grade and a half.</p>

<p>The easiest way to determine workload/grading scale in advance is to look on course evaluations. Some profs are very forgiving. Some aren't.</p>

<p>I'd say the biggest question is whether you are willing to take a 3rd quarter of Civ or and 2nd quarter of Art/Music/Drama. The third quarter of Civ is not very popular, since most of the sequences are two quarter long. They sorta throw random readings together for the third quarter, but there are generally very few sections (at least of Euro Civ). But if you kinda like Hum at all, I'd say it's a good idea to keep it, just since it's probably the easiest and most convenient way to get that aspect of the Core done. And more experience writing when your in a class where you are supposed to be learning to write probably doesn't hurt.</p>

<p>The third quarter of Civ is popular is you don’t take one of the basic, collegiate Civ sequences like Euro or American (which are just paper centric version of AP history). If you elect to complete one of the areas studies major requisite, mixed graduate student enrollment programs instead such as East Asian, you definitely would want to take the third quarter as you would get a really incomplete picture otherwise, i.e. no Korea.</p>

<p>Incidentally, it will be interesting to see if they drop two quarters of Art / Music / Drama option in the near future. It is really killing the departments to offer so many intro courses to non-majors. As it is, from a pure scheduling standpoint I would encourage you not to plan to take two or A/M/D unless you are very flexible in when you can do it. Many students get iced out of enrolling for any class within the sub area they want.</p>

<p>HUM is an important course, so I would recommend your taking the third quarter. </p>

<p>If you would rather take three quarters of civ, I highly recommend Western Civ. Best course I have taken in the College... yes, a core course.</p>

<p>The Core's a pain in the ass..</p>

<p>My S graduated in 2007, took Philosophical Perspectives for Hum and only took 2 quarters. He managed to graduate with honors and get a job without the 3rd quarter, and it will not be an issue for grad school applications either. My D, a first year, is taking Media Aesthetics and will also forgo the 3rd quarter. If you're enjoying the course, continue, if not, be flexible and do 3 Civ (most of the Civ abroad programs), or 2 M/A/D...</p>