Three years of foreign language requirement

<p>I know it's usually recommended, but it is the only school I've seen make it a requirement. Any thoughts about this?</p>

<p>Other colleges and universities that require 3 years (or more) of foreign language include:</p>

<p>Seattle Pacific University

<p>That's not a comprehensive list; I simply found those schools using a quick Google search. The University of California requires 2 years but recommends 3 years, so in California high schools, students aiming for the UC system commonly study a language for 3 years.</p>

<p>It's a hurdle for students who have taken only 2 years of foreign language, but the requirement to study for 3 years is a good fit for schools that value a global, international perspective. At Willamette, students must complete a 4th semester of college-level language courses as part of their general education requirement. Since a full-year high-school course usually translates as a 1-semester college course, students coming in with only 2 years of foreign language would still need to take at least an additional 2 semesters of college language. </p>

<p>I think it's a great preparation for study abroad. If a student in high school had only 2 years of foreign language and wanted to continue language study at Willamette, I'm guessing the student could strengthen the application by planning to take more language over the summer.</p>

<p>I don't recall if the 3 years of foreign language was required or recommended last fall when my child applied. She did NOT have three years, but was accepted, with no provisional status and no intention of taking a language class during the summer.</p>

<p>We had two current students from Willamette call us between acceptance in December and March asking if we had any questions. I asked about the language requirement. The explanation I got was that many kids choose to start a new language at Willamette, and they will take four semesters. So my child only having two years was not a problem. She could begin a new one, or take the placement test and continue Spanish where she placed. The obvious benefit of starting Spanish up again was that she had more space for electives since she wasn't beginning at level 1. </p>

<p>If you do have three years of HS language, you still need to take the placement test. Depending on the quality of the HS program, you may place into the fourth semester, or have to take a lower level before doing the fourth semester.</p>

<p>You may want to call Willamette and ask. They had a huge increase in the # of applications this year and they may be sticklers for the requirement next time around. On the other hand, if there are other things in your child's profile that they find appealing, they could certainly overlook the foreign language. If you know for sure, you can save the application fee.</p>


<p>^Lucked out and got a “free” priority app.</p>