Time to begin the hunt...

<p>... for college textbooks. I've been trying to find them without breaking the bank. Any ideas on where to begin? </p>

<p>I'd thought i'd ask here sense you guys probably have more knowledge on this subject. :D</p>

<p>There are plenty of on-line booksellers. Make sure you don't get teacher editions. I use abebooks.com, but lots of people use amazon. If you can get your hands on the ISBN numbers, that is the easiest way to search, and it is important to get the right edition.</p>

<p>You can save quite a lot buying on line.</p>

<p>not a spokesperson, but if you don't care about ownership, cheap option is Chegg for rentals....and there are a number of universities who will be providing this service in the coming year.</p>

<p>If you must own, I usually type the ISBN code into Google to find options for used books....of course, you need to get the ISBN codes first....</p>

<p>Good question for the student to ask on his college board. Other students know when to buy locally and when to use online resources.</p>

<p>several of my daughter's science profs didn't even use the textbooks. After first quarter, my D started buying the texts only after classes began, and she bought about half of what they were supposed to buy. YMMV</p>

<p>My S had a lot of success with entering the ISBN numbers into gettextbooks.com.</p>

<p>We did well on Amazon and ebay.</p>

<p>I second Chegg...I got a $175 textbook for about $75 this semester. And let's face it; are you REALLY going to ever pick up that textbook again?</p>

<p>They'll also buy books you bought from other places, either for site credit or cash.</p>

<p>Oh...also, they pay for the return shipping via UPS, and they plant a tree for every book you rent. I've gone through Chegg for two semesters and saved $171. And it's already looking like I'll save another $100 or so this semester.</p>

<p>I will say that Chegg does not work very well if the professor wrote the book for the course or it's an extremely specific/specialized course.</p>

<p>When will the text books be available on the electronic readers, so you could buy them for a % of the hard copy purchase price, use them for one semester and then they become invalid?</p>

<p>Some students will want to keep books, so renting is not always a good option. Likewise, if you shop around, you will not usually pay full price for a book unless you have to buy the latest edition and used ones are not available. You also will be able to sell them back if you do not want them--of course at a much lower price.</p>

<p>UMDad--I don't know if they ever will. Whenever professors have told us that e-books are available, the students have always voted them down. It's just too uncomfortable to read large chunks of text on a screen. </p>

<p>We do often have supplemental materials made available online...all of my intro-level Astronomy homework was online this semester, as well as helpful study guides. And my Computer Science exams were all (obviously) online.</p>

<p>Damn, I felt like I was so cutting edge.</p>

<p>Back to old fartdom...</p>

<p>S buys a lot of books on Half.com. He re-sells them there when he's done, too.</p>

<p>We use the site bigwords.com. You put in the ISBN number and it compares the prices at various textbook stores, so you can go though the list to get the cheapest price. We've ended up buying through Half.com and Amazon mostly. Tpically we try to get the books in like new condition,and we still save a ton. </p>

<p>I remember they did list Chegg, by DS does not like Ebooks as well.</p>

<p>D. is using Half.com. We were stupid first year buying her "used" books at college book store, very expensive.</p>

<p>My D has an app for her iphone where she takes a picture of the bar code, and it searches for the best price.</p>

<p>Many bookstores are offering the rental option now, too.</p>

<p>I saved money in college by not purchasing most books, and just reading them in the library. My university had the policy that all textbooks had to be available at the reserve desk of the library - it couldn't leave the library. My grades also went up because I was never sure if I would be able to check it out again so I read it thoroughly the first time.</p>

<p>bookmarked</p>