Time Warner Cable vs. Direct TV

<p>Have been a Time Warner customer since 1999. Always problems...internet connection is up and down, TV signal is sometimes poor meaning that when I want to watch an HD channel, most of the time it works but sometimes not. Last night I was staring at a black screen while I wanted to watch Say Yes to the Dress. </p>

<p>I don't watch much TV but when I want to watch it, I'd like it to work.</p>

<p>I have the feeling we have old coax cable that is not up to the load. Tech is coming out Monday but I'm getting tired of it...we've also had the tech out for the internet and he said, well you are the last house on the feed, it's going to be problematic sometimes. (What?? $150 a month for internet + cable tv with DVR with no premium channels, and we get what we get?)</p>

<p>I have to keep the high speed (ha ha) internet for work but I am thinking of switching over the tv to Direct TV. Huge hassle? It would not save that much money but would it be better or just trade my current problems for others?</p>

<p>The problems I've had with Direct over the last five or so years are minimal compared to cable. I'd never go back! We just switched to high speed internet with ATT U-verse, a company I had sworn I'd never do business with because of their incessant marketing, but it offered the highest speeds, and so far, so good.</p>

<p>We've had DirectTV since 1995. When we moved to our house, which is wired for cable, the cable stopped three houses down and on the other side of the street. The cable company wanted us to pay thousands of dollars to install the extension, so we went with satellite. We actually installed it ourselves. The only time the signal goes out is when there is a heavy thunderstorm directly overhead, never for more than the few minutes it takes the storm to pass. Light/moderate rain, snow, hail have not made it go out, although if snow accumulates on your antenna, you do sometimes have to scrape it off. We're on our third box. Each time they came out and installed the upgraded box for free and made sure it worked before they left. Phone support has always been good, too. When the kids were little, we used to use PPV a lot, but don't any more.</p>

<p>We get our high speed internet through our phone. We recently had to switch and chose Frontier for a bundled local/long distance/internet pkg. Had to keep the phone to get the pkg. However, when we added Direct TV billing to the pkg, we save $10/mo on Direct TV. </p>

<p>Very happy with it all, and the internet is much faster. No problem with four people using laptops and more than one streaming video at the same time.</p>

<p>We switched to DirecTV three years ago and are very happy. The thunderstorms are an infrequent problem, but the reception, offerings, and user-friendliness are much, much better.</p>

<p>Well the Internet is the weak link. I think the only alternative to TW cable is Verizon dsl, which would be slower.</p>

<p>If we changed to direct tv, how do they work the wiring into the house?</p>

<p>P.S. we no longer have a home phone at all although the line is still there and I don't need one</p>

<p>Changing from Time Warner cable to DirecTV was one of the best decisions we ever made. We had Comcast before we were changed over to Time Warner and the problems once the switch was made were constant. Unfortunately we still have Time Warner for internet, our location doesn't have a fast DSL.</p>

<p>The wiring was not a problem. They installed the dish on the roof and just used our existing cable outlets to connect the TV's. When DirecTV goes out (usually because a storm is pounding on our house) we lose connection for a few minutes. With cable it was hours.</p>

<p>We love our Directv service quality, have had it since cable dropped the Yankees YES station many years ago.
HEAVY rain directly overhead does cause short outages. No big deal.
The reception is amazing and the DVR service is wonderful.</p>

<p>But we do not buy any premium channels and the package costs us $77/month. That is after I do my yearly "we're a loyal customer, and Verizon wants us to switch" dance to customer retention and get the $10 month discount. Just for asking.</p>

<p>Interested to know what others pay per month for Directv.
I am tempted to buy one of those leaf indoor antennaes for local channnels and just stream Hulu or Neflix for low $$$.
Anyone try that idea?</p>

<p>I really do not want a satellite dish on my roof. Where else can they put it?</p>

<p>^^We have Dish network at our vacation home. The dish is beside the garage. I wanted it in the backyard but the installer said there were too many large trees back there that would block reception.</p>

<p>Location of the dish totally depending on your house vs line of sight to the satellites. DirecTV will come out and do a sight survey for you and let you know your options. Ours is on the roof and unless I point it out to you then you don't notice it.</p>

<p>I will never ever have cable in my house.</p>

<p>Our dish is attached to the railing of our deck. We have a two story house with walk out basement in the back. Used to pay $65.99/mo for Direct TV (one step up from basic pkg, no premium channels), $35.68 + $15 for land line + $57.02 for Internet > now $130-135/mo for all three.</p>

<p>We installed Directv when we built in 1997. We almost never have a problem, just during extremely heavy cloud cover and not of long duration. I do have a mental problem with paying $75/mo. for tv (nothing premium), but we live where it is not possible to receive any channels without a huge outdoor antenna. So...no complaints other than cost about Directv--it's our most reliable utility, and far far more reliable than cable ever was.</p>

<p>Ask the cable installed about putting a booster on your line. Either at the junction AND / OR as it comes into your home.</p>

<p>If you don't want premium or cable only channels - and you are not a heavy user - consider over-the-air. You should be able to receive all the main channels: ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, PBS and probably more. You pay a one-time cost for a good outdoor antenna ... and you can get them in high definition. With the new digital signals - the signal is now actually better over-the-air than by cable or satellite.</p>

<p>We have nothing but snow without the cable. That would have to be one string antenna. Yesterday a cable guy came out and said well your line has been split into 8 which doesn't make sense for 2 tvs and one modem. (why does the 4th guy to come out have to say that, it happens all the time. The first 2-3 they send don't know their a** from their elbow.)</p>

<p>It appears to be working better now as the signal is closer to what it's supposed to be. I'm still noting these comments though and am going to price DirectTV</p>

<p>*strong antenna. I do need some of the cable channels got to have my HD.</p>

<p>Snowdog - just to be clear - you get full HD free over-the-air - with all the main channels. Better quality than cable now.</p>

<p>You can also check this website for what kind of antenna would work or that you would need. Just because you don't get anything now - with an indoor antenna, doesn't mean an outdoor one would not work.</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx%5DAntennaWeb%5B/url"&gt;http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx]AntennaWeb[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>One of the things I love about DirecTV is getting the east coast feed for most channels. If you are in the eastern time zone this clearly does not apply, but for me it is great to watch most shows 3 hours earlier. So I can watch Top Chef at 7 or Shameless at 6, etc.</p>

<p>ghostfire13 I believe ... you are probably grandfathered in - most new customers would not be able to get different feeds of the main networks.</p>

<p>No, not the main networks. I never got those east coast feed. Maybe my viewing habits are weird but many of the shows I watch are on Bravo, Syfy and the like. And I really like watching those shows at 6 or 7 instead of 9 or 10.</p>