Timeline for MCAT

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>In college what is the optimal timeline for MCAT? For example, when should u start studying? When should you take it?</p>

<p>I think most high schoolers regard MCAT as SAT on steroids for CR and Science. I mean 10 real tests should get you to a good score right?</p>

<p>It's generally said that 8 weeks of intensive studying is sufficient preparation for the MCAT, 3 months top. There's obviously a deviation depending on individual mental capacity or dedication.</p>

<p>
[quote]
10 real tests should get you to a good score right?

[/quote]

Unlike SAT, it is not possible to get 10 real tests which are recent ones. As far as I know:</p>

<p>1) There are 8 real tests from AAMC: AAMC 3-10. But AAMC 3-6 are extremely old and AAMC 7-10 are also quite old.
2) There is a grand total of one recent test, published by AAMC on its guide book. Wait...that one is not full length. So, we have access to a fraction of one test which is recent.
3) It is rumored that AAMC will soon contract with another company to write new tests. When that happens, we will have access to zero real test.</p>

<p>Please correct me if I am not right here.</p>

<p>BTW, out of AAMC 3-10, in your opinion, which one correlates the best with the real test (in terms of its difficulty)? Some said AAMC 8 is the hardest and the real test in recent years is harder than most AAMC tests. So, does it mean that AAMC 8 correlates the best with the real test?</p>

<p>Although most evidence I have heard on the matter is anecdotal, I think there is a lot of truth to what mcat2 is saying. On SDN, the general consensus is that the AAMC 7-10 are the best exams, and the others are too easy. I would have to agree, it seems like 7-10 capture the "feel" of the mcat better than the others.</p>

<p>I made the mistake of only using the official AAMC practice tests as practice for the real MCAT. I was in for a real shock on test day to find out that the biology section was a LOT different from the e-mcat exams. Much more emphasis on genetics/molecular biology, a lot more detail oriented, longer passages. The other 2 sections seemed fairly similar to the AAMC tests, however.</p>

<p>As bad as they are, and I'm not debating that, they are still more diagnostic than anything else out there. Use them. Just don't count on replicating the scores. I wouldn't feel comfortable till I was consistently hitting 3 to 5 points higher than I thought I needed.</p>

<p>And for God's sake. Do the essays , too. If you are simulating test conditions, it would be a good idea to simulate the test conditions. Jeebus. This isn't rocket surgery. ;)</p>

<p>I know a kid who never not one time did a practice essay. She smoked it with a M. She and the ESL kids on the group W bench.</p>

<p>In a perfect world, I think GPA should be valued more than an MCAT score. An MCAT score reflects a person's ability over a five hour exam, a strong GPA reflects years of hard work, persistence, and ability.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>In a perfect world, all professors at all colleges would grade the same. They dont.</p>

<p>MCAT on the other hand? Same grading process (it is.... standardized).</p>