Tiny houses

<p>Does anybody here have any knowledge about these, either first hand or through friends? Specifically looking for info on ones that have everything such as indoor plumbing, kitchen, and shower. Not looking for ones that are stationary, looking for ones that can be transported.</p>

<p>I am fascinated by these as well. We investigated them at a trade show. Just too too small for our oversized personalities. I think I am in love with the idea rather than the reality. Tumbleweed</a> Tiny House Company</p>

<p>BTW---some of the companies do hold workshops if you are interested in building your own.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/santa-rosa/%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/santa-rosa/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I like the idea for a small vacation home. I'd like to find a plan that has a more open kitchen/living room space since we find that more conducive for vacation living. </p>

<p>I've been looking at lots for sale and wouldn't mind putting one of these on one....but would need at least 700 square feet.</p>

<p>They look a lot like the sheds sold at the Amish markets.</p>

<p>Canada has this "granny house" phenomenon. Portable houses they transport into your backyard. (I should post this on the "caring for parents thread." For example, Canadian</a> Portable Structures :: High Quality Portable Buildings, Plant Offices, Control Rooms, Storage Units, Guard Houses. I see no reason why one of these couldn't work as a retirement home. </p>

<p>Google it and there's plenty of tiny house resources. </p>

<p>Tiny</a> House Talk - Tiny Homes and Small Spaces</p>

<p>Accessory</a> Dwellings | a one-stop source about ADU's, granny flats, backyard cottages, in-law units, accessory dwelling units…</p>

<p>We have stayed in these little houses (or Stugas) while on vacation in Sweden. It is amazing how every inch of space is utilized. Though I think you need a deck to make it work.</p>

<p>The HGTV Design Star finale just had as the final challenge the decorating of shipping containers. They said this is also a new trend. I think they were 8 or 9 ft x 20.</p>

<p>Too small for me.</p>

<p>If I were on my own, I could easily live in a place the size of my daughter's studio apartment -- about 400 square feet. </p>

<p>But I would not be happy in one of these closet-sized houses. I would feel trapped.</p>

<p>It would be good for a vacation house though. Or a pool house. I think that they are awesome.</p>

<p>We also gave this concept a try as a vacation home. We went to a California beach side resort( for a long weekend) that used a similar design and sizes (about 400 sq feet +) and a fantastic balcony overlooking the ocean. On the day that it was rainy and the balcony was untenable we came very close to killing one another. I could see it for an individual, but not a couple.</p>

<p>I stayed (as a couple) in a cottage on the beach in Kihei, Maui that was probably 300 square feet with a little kitchen and full bath. <a href="http://www.nonalanicottages.com/media/gallerySizeP8311227.jpg%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nonalanicottages.com/media/gallerySizeP8311227.jpg&lt;/a> It had a lovely porch with a table and two chairs, overlooking the ocean. Basically a honeymooner's dream.</p>

<p>I think I could have lived there very happily if I were getting along with my spouse. But of course, this is Maui, where you'd spend most of your life outdoors.</p>

<p>Doesn't Canada have zoning restrictions (setbacks, etc) that the granny houses might violate? Seems like you would need quite a big property to accommodate one.</p>

<p>Does anyone have an idea about what these houses cost?</p>

<p>Seems like they could be used to add a guest house to one's property.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Doesn't Canada have zoning restrictions (setbacks, etc) that the granny houses might violate? Seems like you would need quite a big property to accommodate one.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This is a highly systemized thing in Canada with a special subsidized mortgage: "Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) offers financial assistance for the creation of a Secondary or Garden Suite for a low-income senior or adult with a disability — making it possible for them to live independently in their community, close to family and friends."</p>

<p>CMHC</a> ? Secondary/Garden Suite (RRAP)</p>

<p>They did a study finding that zoning allows such structures in 220 out of 440 sampled municipalities, and they note that aside from having granny move in, it can be income producing to allow such structures on your property for strangers. </p>

<p>About</a> Your House: Secondary Suites | CMHC</p>