tips for a rising freshman :D

<p>I'm a pretty decent student. (Been taking all honors and got As in them yada yada yada) But sadly I'm an introvert. Even worse I'm an introvert gunning for a top university. (Cornell-College of Engineering- and applying for ED if I think I'll have a decent chance) So, if you awesome people of CC could humor me with some advice on how to get teachers/counselor to give me good recs/recommend me for stuff and what are good ECs/volunteer work I should do. I know I should just chill out, but my mind won't be at rest 'till I have some sort of a plan! :) I'm a girl and plan on majoring in Comp Sci btw.</p>

<p>Well first off you wouldn't apply to their engineering school, they have another school specifically for comp sci. Other than that, I'm in your same boat...except I, not an introvert, but I'm looking into my local colleges to see if I can find some form or engineering or comp sic research or internship opportunity.</p>

<p>if you're a rising freshmen, you have the chance to totally reinvent yourself and develop an amazing college app by senior year. first off, get into and take the most challenging courses. challenge yourself to match/beat the other top students in your grade. make sure you join a lot of activities freshmen year to find out what you enjoy. try participating more and more each day in class. definitely try a sport.</p>

<p>Oh and for comp sci, find a summer class or even teach yourself c++and java, I'm working on c++ and a friend and I will probably develop an apple app later on.</p>

<p>I'm a rising sophomore, and I'll tell you everything I didn't know last year. I wish I knew about this forum then...</p>

<ul>
<li>Do NOT procrastinate. Make a schedule for yourself, and follow it.</li>
<li>Do what the teachers tell you (sounds easy, but it's not at times)</li>
<li>Keep ALL of your papers. Notes, essays, tests, quizzes, flashcards - keep it all. Store it in a box in your garage. Whatever you do, keep it. (Batch scan it?) </li>
<li>Form relationships with teachers you feel like you could connect to. If it's fake, it'll brake. </li>
<li>Don't fall behind. If you miss a lesson, ask questions and go to the teacher straight away.</li>
<li>Don't slack. DO NOT SLACK. </li>
<li>Take away all distractions. Laptop away when it's homework time. If you have to type something, log out of Facebook, Twitter, etc. </li>
</ul>

<p>That's about all I can think of at the moment. If I think of any more I'll post again. Good luck! Freshman year was so much fun for me, and I hope it will be for you as well. :)</p>

<p>EDIT: Make sure to sign up for a summer program! Keep checking application deadlines around January. That's something I missed out on :/.</p>

<p>EDIT: Volunteer throughout the year! If you do 2-3 hours per week, it'll start to add up.</p>

<p>Just get to know and like your teachers and guidance counselors. I am an introvert, but I had to force myself to speak up in class or when I had a problem. Follow the checklist that BlueDevil18 has because s/he summed it up pretty well. Remember to have fun, but be serious because what you do in freshman year lays out the rest of your high school career.</p>

<p>getting off CC is a good idea</p>

<p>thank you all for the advice</p>

<p>@goldring2012 yeah, a reinvention would be nice. Why a sport?</p>

<p>@atpmolecule Do you email the professors for interships and research or does it state on the site that they are accepting high school students for this? Well, it looks like engineering or cas would work out for comp sci.<br>
Cornell</a> University - Academics - Undergraduate Major Fields of Study
good luck on the app too!</p>

<p>@bluedevil18 Whoa! January?? Does that mean I'll have to ask my counselor for a list of summer programs in like December? Does it matter where I volunteer?</p>

<p>@evanb1996 cool thanks.=)</p>

<p>@Seahawks506 will do once school starts</p>

<p>I havnt done anything yet, I will probably wait till school starts so. Can get my gc's advice, and I just plan on emailing a formal letter to the head of research at 2 local colleges.</p>

<p>Edit: my bad I read Cornell as Carnegie Mellon...you can tell what college is on my mind.</p>

<p>Make Algorithms. Get Money.</p>

<p>First of all, have fun! It's your first year in high school, make the best of it.
Here's a couple things that I'd suggest (things that I didn't know two years ago -_-):</p>

<ul>
<li>Join a club that you're interested in. AdComs like seeing dedication over four years more than just simply joining something in your junior year. </li>
<li>Try to become a leader in some school activity, be it sports or the club that you joined.</li>
<li>Make good relationships with your teachers and definitely your guidance counselor. Tip: if you participate in all of your classes on a regular basis and ask intuitive questions, your teachers will most likely have a higher opinion of you.</li>
<li>Start volunteering at a local facility.</li>
<li>As everyone said, take the most rigorous classes available to you. Even though people may call you crazy and whatnot, you'll have the head start because you'll be used to dealing with a heavier course load than the rest of them.</li>
<li>Get enough sleep... The worst thing you can do is to severely deprive yourself of sleep the night before a big exam of whatnot.</li>
<li>Standout in your school! Do something unique!</li>
<li>Keep on top of everything. Projects, homework, your grades, school events, you name it.</li>
<li>Don't overload yourself with too many activities. Even if you join 5 clubs and volunteer at you local food bank, it'll look bad to AdComs if your grades start to drop from As to Bs.</li>
</ul>

<p>Final piece of general advice: Know what you can handle and (because you say you are introverted) force yourself to form great relationships with your teachers.</p>

<ul>
<li>I wish I would've gotten more involved my freshman year. Join something to meet people.
-Try to be social but don't get caught up in a single clique. Keep your options open.
-Always make grades your top priority. If you think volunteering or doing club x will put your grades at risk, don't do that. </li>
</ul>

<p>Otherwise, these guys covered it pretty well.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Grades from EVERY year are important. </p></li>
<li><p>Time management is a very important skill to learn. </p></li>
<li><p>Pick the right classes for your abilities. If you are a history/english person, then fill your electives with things pertaining to history/business/law/etc. If you are a math/science person, then take additional quantitative courses. </p></li>
<li><p>Expose yourself to a lot of clubs. Then pick the ones you enjoy and take them all the way. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Good Luck from a member of the high school class of 2012.</p>

<p>

This will almost certainly change. A rising freshman already setting sights on an Ivy? And knowing the specific college within that university? Lol, look at this thread in about 3.5 years and have a good laugh at yourself.</p>

<p>@OP Well, many summer programs' applications are due in March and April, so I meant you should start looking online for applications (and talking to your guidance counselor) around January or February.</p>

<p>thanks all for the advice! =D</p>

<p>Why is a FRESHMAN at high school on CC!</p>

<p>Serious girl (: Chill have fun and enjoy high school beofre all that test stress, and yada yada</p>

<p>Welcome to High School!</p>

<p>It's simple</p>

<p>1) Get good grades
2) Enjoy your four years</p>

<p>Balance the two together, you're never getting the years back. Go party, do something fantastic (and legal), get a lover, join a club that requires hundreds of hours (sports, band, etc). </p>

<p>Cornell's gorgeous, by the way. I visited today.</p>

<ul>
<li>Don't be an introvert. Get involved in things that force you not to be an introvert.</li>
<li>Make a good impression on sophomore/junior teachers. Participate in class. Talk to them outside of class. Ask them for help. Try to be curious in their subjects. I don't advocate sucking up... but don't drag your feet and "work hard" for an A and expect a good rec (that said, your rec letters don't have to come from teachers who gave you an A).</li>
<li>Don't worry about what "looks good" for ECs. Find some stuff that you want to do and start doing it soon.</li>
<li>Don't worry a lot about college as a freshman. Get good grades and develop some ECs, but don't stress.</li>
<li>Read books.</li>
<li>Get off CC.</li>
</ul>

<p>Study for the SAT 22/7 ofcourse while the other 2 hours is for a mixture of sleep and homework.</p>