To write a bad AP score or to leave it blank, which is better?

<p>I felt like I screwed up the AP Calculus BC test today.
So should I leave this part blank or just write it (cuz I heard that AP doesn't affect your admission)??
Actually I do have a good score in Calculus in class, but might not excellent in the AP test...</p>

<p>You can decide to cancel your score (before you receive it) or you can wait. BTW, I think most students who took this exam thought it was tough, either in content or in time management. I think there will probably be a pretty decent curve.</p>

<p>You do not need to report the score.</p>

<p>Shouldn’t you wait to decide about leaving spots on your application blank until after you’ve gotten the score in the summer? You won’t even be able to submit your application until a few months from now. Don’t panic. You probably did a lot better than you think you did. My AP scores always surprised me.</p>

<p>If your transcript says you’ve taken BC Calc in school, and you’ve taken the AP exams corresponding to your other classes, it would be strange to not have an AP score for BC Calc. If you don’t list it, I think it will be evident that it is because you got a low score. If you have other, more-standardized-than-high-school-grades means of demonstrating your prowess in math (maybe math competitions at your school, if there are any, or an A from a local university/community college on a challenging math class this coming fall), which make it obvious that the low score was just a bit of bad luck, then you should be fine.</p>

<p>no point in cancelling the score. wait it out, and decide at the time of application. leaving AP BC out on MIT application might raise a flag, especially after taking the class. then again, it’s a minor if anything. if everything else is all right you should be ok. one bad ap score does not doom you.</p>

<p>There’s also no point in leaving out the score because colleges don’t generally use AP scores for admissions anyway. If you’ve already gotten in and are coming here, there’s no reason to not report your AP score - the worst-case scenario is that you have to take 18.01. No one will laugh at you behind your back for getting a 2 or 3 because no one actually cares.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, but maybe I should state my situation more clearly.</p>

<p>I’m a high school junior and took AP Calculus BC yesterday.
I have a very decent average of Calc at school, but I felt like I screwed up the AP test.
I’m pretty strong at maths and want to major in mathematics in college.
For example, I was USAMO qualifier this year (even though I failed USAMO test, but a qualifier for this is still very impressive I think). and I went to PROMYS last summer and am going to return this summer. Also, I got 800 in Maths Level 2.</p>

<p>I guess (just guess), If I get a 3 or even worse in AP Calculus, this is not consistent with my other maths experience…</p>

<p>In this case, if I really get a bad score, should I leave it blank on the college application (Oh… though I haven’t started working on it, I’ve been worried about it for long) or just write it anyways?.</p>

<p>Still doesn’t matter. Colleges don’t typically use AP scores for admissions since they’re self-reported anyway.</p>

<p>I would write it anyways. They’ll either know you’re hiding a low score, or see it and appreciate your honesty.</p>

<p>Different schools have different degrees of grade inflation/deflation, so your good grade in school is not going to be as meaningful as a standardized exam score. An 800 on the math 2 SAT subject test is not unusual for an MIT applicant; while it won’t hurt you, it also isn’t likely to be very impressive.</p>

<p>I really think you should wait to worry about this until after you’ve gotten your score.</p>

<p>USAMO qualifier is much more impressive than a 5 on AP Calc BC, IMO. I say this b/c I would never ever get USAMO qualifier (heck, I didn’t even get to AIME) but feel confident on BC Calc. Also, MIT will place more stock in the extra-curricular achievement than the AP one, I believe (MIT Chris, where are you?)</p>

<p>If you are continuing with maths and continue doing well, or go to a school with a track record for poor AP performance (more indicative of poor teaching than being a poor student of math) then I would not worry.</p>

<p>Also, note that the curves on AP are generous, getting a 5 on BC Calc requires around a 65-70% (yes, getting a C more/less guarantees a 5) so I would not stress too much. Also, AP tests a more applied/arithmetic math and if you lean more towards theory/pure math (if my understanding is correct, AIME is proof-based, so I’m guessing you do) then this should be much less of an issue. If they keep the “explain your departmental interest” question, then you can explain an interest in math theory (I’m the opposite. I love applied math, but theory math is way too abstract for my feeble mind. Still, I compete in math that leans towards applied and I haven’t done extraordinarily well there either, good thing I don’t want a math major, haha).</p>