Toefl

<p>Hello, I have just received my toefl scores - 88. The are low because I sat toefl in another city after 3 hours of sleep. Should I still apply? Will admission committee consider my application if I explain my situation?</p>

<p>The TOEFL is the only test at MIT that has a minimum score (which is 90). If you think you can get a higher score, you should resit the exam to at least meet the minimum (and hopefully hit 100+).</p>

<p>If you can't sign up for the TOEFL soon, you could also take the SAT I instead. This is generally not recommended for international students, but if you're in a tight spot, it might work for you.</p>

<p>I know that I can make better but the problem is that I don't have options to sit toefl, the nearest testing date is in February. Also, I think I showed good level of English on my interview will be it considered? I have low scores just because I haven't slept enough and sat test in another city.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, mathaddicted, MIT will not review your application if you do not meet the minimum TOEFL requirement of 90. You can view their guidelines here: Tests</a> To Take | MIT Admissions</p>

<p>To be honest, sleep would not affect scores by a significant amount, and therefore would not be a valid reason for your low scores. If you really needed the extra sleep, you should have traveled there a day earlier. And based on your grammatical errors, I wouldn't be too disappointed about your TOEFL score. </p>

<p>Like PiperXP said, unless you find a way to retake the TOEFL or SAT, you should not apply as your application will not be considered. International admissions is very competitive, so MIT must set the standards for a bare minimum.</p>

<p>Thank you for an honest answer.
But as you said "sleep would not affect scores by a significant amount",
I think 3 points is not a significant amount, however if I had earned this 3 points I would have a total score 91 and this is above the minimum requirement.</p>

<p>Then what if someone "didn't get enough sleep" and scored 87? Or 86? Where do you draw the line? </p>

<p>If you really want to apply, then I suggest that you do your best to retake the TOEFL or SAT in January.</p>