Too many interests- how do I choose? Music ed, musical theater, dance, math, English

<p>I want to be an organic farmer- that’s set. But I also love teaching and have so many things I’m interested in that I don’t even know where to start as far as a degree or multiple degrees go. I currently teach piano and am working toward certification in ballroom dance instruction. I would love to be a dancer (lyrical, contemporary, even ballet), but have very little experience with those forms of dance and doubt I could practically pursue a career in dance. If I could do anything, though, contemporary dance would be my passion. That being said, I’m looking to go to college for instrumental music ed. I would like to teach high school band. I am also considering going for a second music education degree for choral. In addition, I love theater, and would love composing and directing plays and musicals. This may also open a door for me to use lyrical/contemporary dance. Do I NEED a degree in theater in order to be a drama department director, though? Music ed and musical theater don’t necessarily go hand in hand. If I did go for musical theater, however, I believe it would not be too unattainable to couple theater with English, allowing me to be more marketable. I love teaching. My home schooled sister has often said I should be a math and English teacher, and I would truly enjoy that, and had considered becoming an English teacher or quite a while. I do intend to home school my future children.</p>

<p>Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
PS. I realize that more degrees=more college time =)</p>

<p>Being a teacher could be optimal if you were to have reliable help on the farm come harvest time. And though I’ll hold my own opinions on the whole organic con thing, I believe having a steady job would be ideal though music and theater would require a lot more time than a normal teaching job like math or English. Due to your interests, it might be best to go with theater or English as you can incorporate music into theater and both music and theater into English.</p>

<p>Yeah, the farm would have help. Musical theater is sounding more appealing. I love the idea of working with music on a daily basis, though. I’ve been in music since age 7 and have been teaching piano for 10 years. It’s never occurred to me not to be a musician by trade. Thank you for your input!</p>