Too much sushi??

<p>Yes, the warnings are primarily directed at women who can become or are pregnant and children. But countries like Canada also suggest ALL adults limit mercury - which seems to make sense to me. Why would I want to ingest a toxic chemical that causes brain damage in infants? Geez...I'd rather eat wild salmon or veggies.... </p>

<p>By the way, folks in Japan have had problems. </p>

<p>NOW</a>. Science & Health. Mercury in Fish | PBS
An excerpt:
Until the 1950's, the problems that can occur with excessive mercury intake were not well-known. However, at that time, an epidemic hit fishermen and their families in villages on Japan's Minamata Bay. People whose diet was primarily seafood showed signs of brain damage; some were even fatally stricken with disease and seizures. The investigation linked the health problems to methylmercury poisoning from a local chemical plant that was discharging organic mercury into the bay. The villagers were getting sick from eating the fish that had absorbed the mercury. (Learn more about The Poisoning of Minamata.)</p>

<p>Here's another link to information about seafood choices, from both an environmental and health perspective. Seafood</a> Selector (Main Page) - Environmental Defense Fund</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry about parasites if the Sushi chef is a properly trained Japanese chef. You will generally only find one in a Japanese owned and operated sushi restaurant, which is not as common as you'd think, but maybe SF is an exception. I love sushi, and salmon is one of my favorites, but I wouldn't eat it more than once a week unless it's wild salmon. I try to avoid the farmed variety, although it's much cheaper. But there's a lot more to sushi than tuna and salmon --here must be some pretty awesome choices on the west coast!</p>

<p>I don't think barron is a pregant woman or nursing mother.</p>

<p>How come they never have warnings about eating too much chicken/beef? Aren't most of them hormone grown in the US?</p>

<p>Sam Lee, I just cannot see how much GH can actually get absorbed from the food that enters the digestive system, since GH is a peptide that will be rapidly "chewed up" by the enzymes that process peptides/proteins that come with the food. GH has to be injected into the blood stream for it to have any therapeutic (or doping) effect:</p>

<p>Growth</a> hormone treatment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Mercury metal released into the environment gets converted into methylmercury by microorganisms. Organomercury compounds "mask" themselves as essential molecules that are rapidly absorbed from food in the digestive tract. These compounds then latch onto biomolecules inside the cells and stick around. Methylmercury is considered a a bioaccumulative environmental toxin:</p>

<p>Methylmercury</a> - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Bunsen burner, It sounds like you are skeptical of Alberto Contador's explanation.
;)</p>

<p>"How come they never have warnings about eating too much chicken/beef? Aren't most of them hormone grown in the US?"</p>

<p>Hormones are the least of your worries. Poultry is the #1 cause of bacteria borne food poisoning according to the CDC, Beef is #2.</p>

<br>


<br>

<p>I certainly am. After decades of following track and field and listening to the absurd explanations and excuses from track athletes who tested positive, Contador's alibi is pretty unimaginative and run-of-the-mill.</p>

<p>How about the track athlete who said he tested positive because he drank beer and had sex on the same night. Or the gold medalist who said his toothpaste was spiked with steroids by unknown evil men or lurking secret agents who broke into his apartment. Or the one who said he couldn't possibly have tested positive because he was a Kenyan, and everyone knows Kenyans are frightened of drugs to the point that they won't go near even an aspirin. Or the woman who said her estranged, vindictive husband had spiked her food with drugs to make her test positive. That last one is one of the few that even began to have a ring of plausibility. And the list of far-fetched excuses goes on....</p>

<p>There is evidence that the high levels of selenium found in fish are protective against mercury, and the danger from mercury in fish is overblown:</p>

<p>Mercury</a> in Fish: Not So Scary After All</p>

<p>Personally, I am more leery of farm raised fish. Also, the wild variety tastes infinitely better.</p>

<p>If and when Franken-salmon gets approved, I may stop eating salmon altogether, it will only be a matter of time before they get loose in the wild and cross-breed. I think that is a bigger cause for concern than mercury.</p>