Top 3 Institute of Tech

<p>I have seen quite a few introductions say that top 3 Institute of Tech are MIT, Caltech, and Gatech. However, I also found that some people say IIT is one of the top 3 Institute of Tech instead of Gatech because of its long history and being as a private college. So, which statement is true or more realistic?</p>

<p>It does not really matter, does it? Just because they happen to have "Institute of Technology" in their name doesn't mean that they are in a separate league, which also means there is no reason to rank them among each other.</p>

<p>I agree with ChemE. Cal and Stanford do not have the term IT attached to their name, but they are 2 of the consensus top 4 Engineering schools on Earth (MIT and Caltech being the other two of course). </p>

<p>Georgia Tech and IIT are obviously amazing too...certainly among the top 20 Engineering programs in the world, but most other top 20 Engineering programs are not part of universities with the words IT in their title. For example, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Imperial, Michigan, Polytechnique, Princeton, Purdue, Texas-Austin and UIUC to name a few.</p>

<p>Harvey Mudd would be considered an "Institute of Technology" as much as any of these schools.</p>

<p>Any top 20 are excllenet. You can't go wrong with any of the top 20, and of course the very top 10 are pretty much the same. One school might be stronger in a particular program than other schools.</p>

<p>For example, Harvard's biomedical department partners with Harvard medical. This long well-known medical school can be very helpful to biomedical department.
Isn't it?</p>