Totally Confused (AP classes)

<p>I've just found this sight and am already hooked. :D By the looks of it, there are a whole lot of people out there who have had better guidance than I have! At my school, they only offer five AP classes, and only seniors take them. But I had been wondering about them for some time, and found out that you don't need to take the class to take the exam (right?). Are there some AP classes you don't recommend studying independently?
...Please! I've written collegeboard.com numerous times, but all of their responses seem like they are computer-generated, and don't even answer my questions!</p>

<p>Well, you're right in that you do not have to have taken an AP course to take the AP exam. However, it is unlikely that you will receive a score of 4 or 5 on the test if you have not taken the class. I really wouldn't recommend taking the test without the class, but that may just be me. If I were to take a test without the class, I would choose AP English and stay away from the sciences or maths. To find out what you personally can handle, take some practice AP tests for various subjects and see what you think is doable.</p>

<p>Some people can do it and some people cannot. </p>

<p>It truly depends on how motivated you are (it seems that you are). Search this form for self-study techniques, advice, etc. What subject(s) are you interested in? Good luck!</p>

<p>You need to sign up through your school and it is probably too late for this year.
You could take AP USHistory, AP English language if you are good in those topics and study the AP books by yourself.</p>

<p>Depends what your area of expertise is, like others have said.</p>

<p>AP Psychology and AP Statistics are known to be two of the easier AP tests available.</p>

<p>If you choose to self-study an AP, however, I would suggest that you approach a teacher (who teaches a related subject) and try to get him/her to mentor you. This way, you'll have someone to go to with your questions, and someone to check on your progress. Good luck.</p>

<p>I would say that at the least make sure you're taking some class related to the AP test. Sophmore year two friends of mine were taking Honors Bio and just studied with Princeton review and both got fives because they knew they were good at Biology, and they had a really good teacher. But you need to know yourself, and find out about the test. I thought about taking the AP Chem test because I'm in Honors Chem, but decided against it because the math would probably be too difficult.</p>

<p>What are the 5 they offer at your school? I know that if one is dedicated, he/she could study for Stats and Psychology by yourself.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>The thing is...I won't be going to a public high school anymore (or anywhere near one). I'll be a distance learner through a special program. They didn't offer any AP classes, so I decided that I would learn them on my own and take the exams once I come back to America (don't worry, I already know I have to arrange it with a school WAY ahead of time). </p>

<p>I had always been great in maths and sciences, but it seems to me like everyone here is warning me not to take those on my own. And I've also heard that colleges can see right through the "easy" AP classes, like Psychology, Enviromental Science, Statistics, etc, etc. I don't know how difficult those exams really are...</p>

<p>I guesss it would be stupid to try and take the Chemistry or Biology exam when you didn't even have a lab to work with, huh? Any comments on Calc AB/BC, micro/macro economics, history, or geography?</p>

<p>P.S. HiWei-my school I'm in now offers English Lang./Lit. Spanish Lang./Lit. and Calc. AB</p>

<p>So...is there anyone out there who got a decent grade on an AP exam (4 or 5) without taking the class?</p>

<p>Anyone at all?</p>

<p>There definitely are, they're just not speaking up. So far, I've taken classes for all my APs but I kno people who have taken upwards of 3 without the class in one year and have gotten 5s.</p>

<p>Do you remember which ones they took at all?</p>

<p>Well they took the Micro class and self studied Macro. They self studied Psyc because its an easy test, Stats for the same reason.</p>

<p>Thanks, I'll remember that. I was sorta hoping there was somewhere out there that could assure me that taking the Chem or Physics exam was not totally suicidal...oh well. You know, I think I'm just going to have to try it for myself.</p>

<p>Chem is not suicidal. 60% is a 5. That means you can miss a significant portion of it and still do very very well. But it needs to be reviewd constantly.</p>

<p>How about any AP exams that are a total no no.</p>

<p>US History... Definitely dont self study for that by yourself. For that tests, you need a long time of exposure to the subject before you can do well. </p>

<p>Probably not a language test.</p>

<p>Really? I though U.S. HIstory would be one I could...just because it seems like you could get everything out of a book.</p>

<p>Depends on what you're good at.</p>

<p>I'm a Soviet immigrant and they made sure you knew your history back in the USSR (Beatles ;) ) so I took that as a jump start, studied independently for Euro History and got a 4.</p>

<p>So long as you start studying early and do a LOT of practice tests, you can do fine. I heard gov was one of the easiest to do independent study.</p>

<p>i wouldn't recommend taking US history without the class unless you're really good at historical writing or you have someone that can grade practice frqs/dbqs and give you feedback. there are many details on that section that you can miss points on for not incorporating.</p>