Transfer into Business (Help appreciated!)

<p>After reviewing my performance this whole year, I've concluded that engineering is not suitable for me. We had an exam almost once every week this whole year, and every time, I get horrible grades because of technical issues like, calculations error, misread minute details, etc. Moreover, I study endlessly to learn the material and feel confident taking the test and afterward, but it all gets shattered when I get my test back and discover these silly mistakes. </p>

<p>I suspected that I had mental disabilities that barred me from achieving my full potential, so I visited a psychiatrist and he agreed with me, and prescribed some meds, which I'm taking now, and they seem to help, but just a bit. I know that disability resources offer special accommodations for testing, but they have special requirements for screening which I cannot obtain for this year. Maybe they can help me next year, but I don't wanna rely on them because if I were to get a degree in engineering, my mental disorders will still hinder me, and there won't always be a disability resources to help me.</p>

<p>Engineering isn't meant for everyone, and I learned this myself this year. I had friends who went to college for engineering before me, and told me the same. I didn't believe them at first, thinking that everyone has the same capability of learning, but it's true: everyone's minds work differently, and for some like me, the field of engineering just isn't a fair playing field.</p>

<p>But why transfer into business? I have a lot of reasons, and there are not anything along the lines of less difficulty. I don't think business is gonna be easier, but I don't think it's necessarily harder either. I only think that business will be a different experience, one suitable for a mind like mine, based on differences between engineering and business and my own personal strengths and weaknesses.</p>

<p>But now I'm worried because they have to look at my semester grades first and I did not do too well on those. I got a 3.37 last semester and hopefully a 3.4-3.5 this semester. I know I've been complaining a lot on these forums, and deeply apologize, but my life's a mess right now, and I just wanna set things in order. But as said, before, the classes I'm taking now are nothing but one exam after another and my mental disability has hindered that. I also have not taken any business classes either, mainly because the BME curriculum pretty much prevents anything else, though I do intend to over the summer to get a feeling about business and make any credits I missed for this past year.</p>

<p>Anything I should tell the dean to maximize my chances?</p>

<p>What year are you at Wash U? I don't remember / can't tell if you are a freshman or sophomore. I know you can switch colleges here pretty easily. After Junior year it's hard (impossible?) because you're too far along, understandably. I think all you need to do is talk to your advisor in Engineering, who will "approve" it and then you'll sign some form. I think. </p>

<p>I'm still not sure why you are transferring other than simply getting grades you aren't terribly happy with. Being an Engineer as a profession is a lot different than taking weekly quizzes and problem sets. Working is not the same as school. You are right that Business and Engineering do utilize similar skill sets. Still, you should really only switch divisions if you legitimately think you don't want to be an Engineer anymore. I can't tell from your post that you feel that way. You can easily get a second major (or at least a minor) in one of the business school departments. That might bring up your overall GPA, if grades are your top concern. </p>

<p>For what its worth, a 3.37 isn't a terrible GPA, anyway, especially in engineering. You'll still be able to go to decent grad school or get a fine job with that. It's not a 4.0 but you're not exactly failing. Then again, you don't have to convince me of anything, so whatever :)<br>
Just talk to your advisor.</p>

<p>Thank You. And I'm still debating whether it's really what I want. For now, my biggest worry is simply getting into the business school because they said they do look at my grades.</p>

<p>And yes I am a freshman</p>

<p>Reading your posts since last summer (yes you've managed to stand out over the past twelve months) I think you're full of execuses and have been since day 1. </p>

<p>With that said, college isn't easy. Top colleges aren't easy, otherwise they could admit everyone and not have to worry about academics. It is perhaps likely you're attending a school too difficult. </p>

<p>Engineering is significantly harder than business. If you really want to do business then of course switch. If you're only doing it because of your grades, then it seems like a poor reason. Furthermore, anything above a 3.2 freshmen year in engineering is considered good. You are putting too much pressure on yourself. Your grades are not that bad. Freshmen year I got a 3.2, the last couple semesters I've gotten a 4.0 (im in engineering, and also doing a triple major). I am putting in more time to work, but at the same end, I don't care if I get a B or an A..I am just doing the best I can. I can imagine if I over worried about every single exam I took, I'd do a lot poorly because of the added unneeded pressure.</p>

<p>Relax. See how you do this semester. You say Engineering isn't meant for everyone, that's true. But also worrying about every grade isn't meant for everyone, and certainly Wash U isn't meant for everyone.</p>

<p>I think you've made a great first step in seeking professional help. Stick with it over the summer, and maybe you'll come up with a plan by then.
I wish you luck.</p>

<p>Also definitely take some business course at some college over the summer. It shouldn't be an easy course (i.e. intro to business), but something like first semester accounting or finance, etc. I think this is a must for you.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Thank You. And I'm still debating whether it's really what I want. For now, my biggest worry is simply getting into the business school because they said they do look at my grades

[/quote]

You really need to get a grip. Your gpa is above average. The bschool isn't going to deny your transfer.
The only time transfers aren't (immediately) accepted is when you're legitimately failing your classes/ can't show that you can get a B average. And no, you aren't even close to failing your classes (complaining about a B is just annoying).<br>
If you had <3.0, you'd have something to worry/fret about. </p>

<p>Go talk to Ron or Melanie in ESS. They can offer you a lot of advice (probably better than your bme advisor could).</p>

<p>Thank You. And I will take some business classes this summer. </p>

<p>I'm pretty sure I'm not suitable for an engineer. I just don't have that passion to seek ideas and analyze in an engineer's standards. Moreover, I don't think I have the patience to pursue endless research projects; it would look like my problems this year with exams, and there won't be a disability resources to help me. Also part of my mental disability is making stupid technical errors like, misreading the problem, calculation error, etc. Seriously not suitable for a job in which in all you do is experiments that can last for days and 1 minute error can ruin everything. This issue will probably stick with me even if I go into business, but since teamwork is more emphasized, I feel more comfortable.</p>

<p>I chose engineering at first because I could comprehend math well. I was good at manipulating formulas and solving problems, so I thought engineering was suitable. Only now do I realize that I don't have everything needed. I was confident when I started choosing engineering though; maybe I had the right idea when I was thinking about math-related majors, but just chose the wrong path. I don't want a math major because I liked using knowledge and can't stand digging deeper through proofs, derivations, etc.</p>

<p>And don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for excuses; I'm not choosing business because I think I'm limited to it; I honestly believe it's more suitable for me. Science majors are also hard to learn, not just engineering for but science majors. The education process is business forces us to get involved through internships, case studies, and teamwork. Many companies even depend on business interns to thrive. Quite recently, there have been major problems occurring throughout the world, even my home country and I can't think/care about anything because I'm studying for a ****in' bio exam. How the hell is Bio 2960 resolve any of these issues? It's saddening to me really. What if in the future an earthquake strikes my hometown and kill my relatives, and I can do nothing but just sit back because I'm waiting for the PCR machines to be done with samples that I know probably won't even yield any useful results? </p>

<p>I guess when it comes down to it, I was just too afraid to take a leap of faith. It was an ignorant decision too; I was pretty sure I wouldn't like engineering classes or working as one. But I was too focused on how am I going to give back to the community, so I stuck with it, knowing it was one path to take. But business also allow people to give back to the community, and it occurs much more frequently than the tedious work engineering research can yield.</p>

<p>I like math, talking to people, making/defending arguments, instead of just sitting back, letting the information sink into my mind and hope it stays there until the exam. I am hardworking for sure, but I don't have the high IQ needed to become an engineer or any other scientist for that matter.</p>

<p>Have you considered switching out of bme into another engineering discipline?
The other departments do a lot better job at emphasizing teamwork... and not all engineering is research projects.</p>

<p>I personally hate research, so I've got an internship with a company this summer, doing real engineering.
(I'm also like you, and absolutely HATED bio)</p>

<p>I have, but the other engineering disciplines simply don't captivate me. I know not all engineering is research; even so, I think science majors in general, not just bme or other engineering, are not suitable for me, and I believe I will thrive more in the field of business. Again, this isn't a sudden decision, I had thought about this for this whole past year and is by far the most difficult decision I've ever had to face.</p>

<p>P.S. When do you think I should submit a transfer request. I wanna get it down now so I can be in the b school and work out a new schedule. But taking classes over the summer first seems to be a better idea before switching, unless the business classes fill up quickly</p>

<p>I think you have a couple of weeks at the start of next semester to officially transfer, and if you don't, you just won't be in the school officially until spring. Which isn't a big deal since you don't really need an advisor to tell you to take intro micro, intro macro, accounting, intro qba etc. </p>

<p>The teaching model of the B school, as you have stated, will be good for you. They do force you to become more of an active learner, which apparently is hard for you to make yourself do. Just be sure that this is what you really want, cuz you don't want to put yourself behind again. </p>

<p>And also, of course you're going to think science is boring if you sit around for 3 hours twiddling your thumbs while a pcr is running...</p>

<p>I'm still unsure since I don't think there's a major that's such a perfect match for me that I will love every second of it. But I believe business will appeal to me more than engineering mainly because of its teaching model.</p>

<p>Just talk to your advisor. That's what they are there for.</p>

<p>The b school advisor was pretty helpful but now the biggest question is how can I get a taste of what business is like? Taking classes is one option, but my parents work at a company and can offer me a job in the business departments (marketing, finance, etc.). Do you think this is a better option or should I take the classes first?</p>

<p>I know it seems weird to jump ahead to a job that I have almost no knowledge of, but if internships are a vital to the business education process, then maybe I can learn while working?</p>

<p>BME premed here:
Firstly, you're not failing. They're not going to deny you transfer. If you want it, there's no reason to wait/waste time. Though you might consider switching to systems. That's pretty much the most "mathy" of the engineering disciplines. They have few requirements, amazing job prospects, and often times do go into business.
Secondly, for a little perspective (not a B school student, but I know some of them/have relatives in business), finance/accounting are supposed to be really hard (like mini engineering essentially, they have their own vocabularies/massive number crunching), marketing/management are softer/easier.<br>
Thirdly ease up on criticizing how much "engineering gives back." As an example have you seen this DARPA's</a> Brain-Controlled Robotic Arm Fast-Tracked, Could Be Available in Just Four Years | Popular Science . Moran works on similar stuff (you need brain computer interfaces to control such devices). I have a close relative who was quadripelegic for a long time. That sort of technology (even temporarily) would have been life changing. It's the difference between helplessness/dependence, and a fairly normal life. This is just one example of thousands. IE. you may not like engineering, you may find it tedious, you may suck at it, but that's no reason to bad mouth it.</p>

<p>I apologize if I sound too critical of engineering, but it;s just that all the amazing innovations that have changed our lives, including that robotic arm you showed, seem to be the result of massive amount of time devoted to research and design and through several experiments and trial & error. I don't think I have the patience and I get frustrated very quickly.</p>

<p>If you watched obama's speech at national teacher day, education is supposed to be the lighting of a fire, not the filling of a pail. Everyday after sitting through these lectures these year and taking one exam after another, I almost operate like a robot, just letting the information sink in as much as possible, albeit with extreme difficulty. I don't have that feeling that I'm developing a passion for it.</p>

<p>DarkKnight666,</p>

<p>Engineering is not for everyone, and it is better to figure out it is not for you after 1 year than after 4.
I don't think you should have any problem switching to business, and it will undoubtedly be easier academically than engineering.</p>

<p>I'm not interested in business because I think it's easier, but I think that the education process is more suitable for me. I was thinking too far ahead in engineering, focusing more on how can I make a living. This time here is the time to look around to find what you like; finding jobs and such can wait until grad school.</p>

<p>But now the question is how can I know I will like business? Take classes or an internship at a company?</p>

<p>DarkKnight you really just need to talk to your advisor(s) again. Multiple times. I'm sure you have some friends in Olin, too. Talk to them, as well. I think there comes a point when collegeconfidential isn't suitable for questions, and I think we reached it. You'll probably do fine in business. Good luck!</p>

<p>one last thing, I did get a scholarship (Gustav Mesmer, $10,000), but it's given by the school of engineering. If I transfer into business, does this mean I will lose it? And I REALLY need it; my parents aren't poor, but we're not rich either; we still need a good amount of financial aid to afford WashU.</p>