Transfer to Stanford, Brown, Dartmouth, CMC, +

I’m a college freshman at a 25-75 ranked undergraduate business school. My main choices for transfer are: Stanford, CMC, Brown, Dartmouth, Yale, UPenn*, Notre Dame, and Wake Forest.

• means previously applied

The facts:

Caucasian, male, single parent household

GPA
HS UW: 3.16
HS W: 3.41
College: 3.94, 3.93 after 2nd semester

• 4.0 in business classes, in 3 business classes I had straight A’s

Test scores
ACT: 32, math 34, 31-32 everything else
SAT
Math: 770
Reading: 630
Writing: 690
Math II: 770
Math I: 740

Extracurriculars:
Low D1 - high D3 recruit in my sport for high school, plan to continue playing
High school peer counselor
Board member for finance-type club at college, only freshman board member
Coach youth players as a volunteer
Internship last summer

** Outstanding letters of rec **

I know these places all have insanely low transfer acceptance rates, but I hope you all could shed some light on what my real chances are! Any of you want an evaluation as well, just put the link in your response and I’ll give you my two cents!

bump it up

Have you already applied for next year, or are you planning to apply for junior admission? What do you expect anyone to say besides affirming your words: “insanely low transfer acceptance rates?” Your current grades are outstanding, but your test scores are not especially impressive for any of those colleges (they usually ask for SAT/ACT scores for students who have less than two years of college). Wake Forest is probably within reach; I don’t see the others happening with your current qualifications. Your Math scores are very good, but the elite colleges like Brown and Dartmouth want top-notch verbal scores, too, unless English is not your native language. Your high school transcript will also matter if you’re applying as a sophomore transfer. Your weighted GPA does not suggest great curricular rigor. Did you take the most challenging available course-load? If you maintain your current GPA, you might have a shot at transferring into one of those colleges as a junior, but it will be a long shot. Why not presume that you will remain where you are, and try to thrive there? If you happen to get into one of your “dream schools,” then go, but don’t put your life on hold in the meantime.

Sorry for the missing info, new to this.

I am applying as a sophomore transfer. I only submitted SATs to schools that required all tests, ACT to everyone and got an 11 on the writing. I think my lowest section percentile for ACT was 93%. My high school record was lackluster, but brought down by my freshman year, and I progressed throughout high school and ended with a 4.5 both semesters senior year. Doesn’t appear so, but I actually did have a rigorous schedule for what my school offered. The place I’m at is really just not the right fit for me socially, and academically it’s too easy and doesn’t have the type of program I really want to pursue now. In high school it seemed right, just not now.

Stanford and Yale are incredibly difficult to be admitted as a transfer student. Much of this is largely tethered to institutional attrition. Both schools have attrition at almost a little under 2%. And their acceptance rate is roughly the same rate–thus, it makes it even more selective than regular admission. The other Ivies are a little better, but still extremely selective, think in the 7-10% acceptance range. I don’t have the actual figures for CMU and WF, but I would imagine, you probably have the best chance at WF. Not to be pessimistic, but transfer to an Ivy or Stanford, seems statistically very challenging–best.

My real hopes at this point are set on Notre Dame, UPenn, CMC, and WF. Penn’s at 10%, CMC I have a connection to, and the other two are over 20% acceptance rate. Thank you all for the replies! any other insights?

bump?

Just as an update for future transfers, I was admitted to Wake Forest and Notre Dame. On that note, I was extremely shocked and excited to get in to Notre Dame as I’ve been an Irish fan since I was 4 and will be there this fall. Moral of the story: you never know if you can get in unless you apply.