Transferring and Social Life

<p>Hello all. I am currently at UMass Amherst and I have the option of transferring to Bentley. I want to be a business major and i think Bentley is my better option. However, one of my advisors brought up a pretty good point. If i transfer will it be hard to meet people and form friends? Will I already be on the outside looking in? I am a shy guy by nature but once i get warmed up i am very sociable, im having a bit of trouble at UMass making friends because im not a huge drinker/pot smoker. Any tips ?</p>

<p>Don't you have access to the 5 College Consortium, meaning access to 5 other colleges which increase your chances of meeting people and going to parties? Maybe you should try going to parties or joining clubs to reach out.</p>

<p>Other than that, don't let fear of not making new friends at a new location a problem. You will always make new friends in any college. Even in your present college, I'm sure you will meet new people every year, so it really doesn't matter whether or not you leave to another school. As long as you're open and accepting to all people, you'll be fine. I wouldn't let this issue bother me much.</p>

<p><em>4 other colleges</em></p>

<p>yes, but i had my mind set on Bentley all along. I want to go there. Thats why I am asking this question. If i transfer there will it be hard to meet people since everyone else has a head start already</p>

<p>there's no doubt that it is harder to make friends as a transfer, but harder does not mean impossible. For sure you want to get into an environment where you are immersed with fellow students, such as by living in the dorm. Also you will need to get involved by joining groups or the greek system.</p>

<p>Dont think that this schools greek system is too far reaching. Its there but its not at all popular, and of course i would live in the dorm and probably do like newspaper, radio or maybe even play some sports.</p>

<p>I just transferred to Bentley. Apply and see what happens</p>