Transferring between MS engineering programs

<p>I recently got my BS degrees in physics and applied math, and now I got accepted into my school's (UCLA) MS program for the fall for Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering. But I'm hesitant about accepting the offer as I would prefer to find full-time employment first, and then have the company reimburse me for it. That's because I'm interested in doing the thesis option or non-thesis with research project options (those are separate options at UCLA and some other schools) but most of the profs I've spoken to said that they won't fund MS students unless they know you will continue for the phD. I'm unsure at the moment if I want to continue with the phD. I think its fairly common for MS students at UCLA to do the MS with research project, but it's a non-thesis. I want to do the thesis since I may continue with the phD, and I definitely am interested in R&D jobs in industry. Also, now that it's almost June and I just finished what will probably be my last interviews for aerospace/defense companies in the last couple weeks, it doesn't seem that I will get a full-time position anytime soon.</p>

<p>I've been thinking of waiting for a few months to apply for MS programs at other schools for their spring 2011 semesters, but after emailing a few professors at each school I've looked at, it seems that they also won't fund MS students unless they continue for the phD. Also, the other schools have out-of-state tuition rates more than twice as much as the in-state tuition at UCLA. How do schools waive out-of-state tuition rates? Its only if you get a TA or RAship, right?</p>

<p>I guess the question I want to ask is would it be a good idea to start off my MS program at UCLA for the fall term, but apply to other MS programs in the meantime for the spring 2011 term, and then see if I get admitted to other programs and if they will fund me? All the other schools said that they only accept 8 units of grad-level coursework as transferable. Or would I save more money just completing my MS at UCLA ASAP?</p>

<p>no one knows?</p>

<p>all these views and no replies?</p>

<p>fine then, I'll simplify my question to this: If I want to find an R&D position in industry or possibly continue on to the phD, and I'm primarily interested in focusing on heat transfer (especially as its applied to missiles), then would I still be able to get those positions if I do my MS project/thesis instead? my guess is that its possible since CFD and heat transfer are sort of related, right?</p>