Transferring from a community college in California to University of Michigan - Musical Theatre

<p>I am currently going to start my last year at Las Positas Community College in California and I would like to transfer to UM Ann Arbor for the Musical Theatre program. I am about to start my third and final year at Las Positas and wanted to know if being at a college for 3 years will hinder my chances of getting into the program. </p>

<p>So far, I’ve taken acting, voice, but need to begin ballet. My plan is to apply for the chance to be accepted for the Fall 2015 semester. </p>

<p>I need to know if UM - MT even takes transfers, I came upon a thread that said they only take less than 2. </p>

<p>Go Blue!</p>

<p>Could you afford OOS tuition there if they did take you? </p>

<p>Honestly, I’m relying on financial aid while I make as much money as I can these next couple of months.</p>

<p>You are an OOS transfer student, you will not get much financial aid at Michigan at all. You probably should look at colleges within the UC or CS system instead.</p>

<p>Try Michigan’s net price calculator.</p>

<p>As discussed in another thread, the very lowest income OOS students may get good aid (net price < $10,000), but there is a steep cliff where the net price suddenly jumps to $22,000 or so for a small incremental income increase. If your parents’ income is low enough, you may get the good aid, but if it increases and pushes you over the financial aid cliff the following year, you may not be able to afford to attend the following year.</p>

<p>@ucbalumnus, just curious, do you think NPC’s give a good results for transfer students? I have the impression that at many colleges transfer students get worse aid than incoming freshman. I don’t remember that the NPCs usually ask if the student is a freshman or not, either. I guess you could run them, but assume they are giving you a best-case scenario for aid and it might not be as good.</p>

<p>OP-
Have you looked into UC Irvine’s program?
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-irvine-mt/1408767-musical-theatre-drama-program-at-uci.html”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-irvine-mt/1408767-musical-theatre-drama-program-at-uci.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You may want to ask your question on the Musical Theatre forum.<br>
<a href=“Musical Theater Major - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/musical-theater-major/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>Probably depends on the college. Public schools may offer the same need-based aid to transfers as frosh as a matter of policy (the transfer route exists in part for poorer students to save money by starting at a cheaper community college; it would defeat this purpose if need-based aid were worse for transfers). Private schools may look to transfers as a market which is more tilted toward the schools than the students (as evidenced by fewer merit scholarships for transfers almost everywhere) and take additional advantage of that with lower transfer student need-based aid. But individual schools could vary in their policies.</p>

<p>Some net price calculators do ask for class level. In theory, they should be able to account for frosh versus transfer status if it matters to the school.</p>