Transferring from an unranked school

<p>I never thought about going to FSU. However, after being denied admission to UF, I little reason not to. Other than UF, only FSU is ranked by US World News. Though it is way below UF(#49 FSU#100+), at least is ranked to be a prestigious college worth recognition. I was planning on enrolling until I realized my brother might fail school if don't stay nearby to help tutor him. My grades are 3.6 UW 4.0 W 29 ACT and decent extracurriculars. Does not being able to enroll into a ranked college lessen my chance of being able to transfer to some other prestigious college during junior year (goals: Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Chicago & etc)? I would really like to transfer but by going to an unranked school, will my grades actually be held less credible than a ranked school, thus denying me admission?</p>

<p>I never expected this to happen. Any feedback would be most greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>No, the adcoms will look at many other factors besides your college's "ranking", including difficulty of courses, professor recommendations, work/extra-curricular, etc. Just "blossom where you are planted" and you should be able to end up wherever you want to be.</p>

<p>Laffite you say your know about rankings but u have no idea! How the hell is FSU an unranked school??? You cleary stated where its position is at and is a flagship school in florida. Secondly FSU and UF are not all that different from each other, UF has a better engineering program by far and FSU a better Medical program..</p>

<p>Lastly its not what college you go to, its how good you are in that college... Any university can be good, its just what you make of it, trust me go out in the real world, they are many dumb dumb dumb people who get into harvard (granted in a ratio less than other schools but NONETHELESS!!!!! lol)</p>

<p>
[quote]
they are many dumb dumb dumb people who get into harvard

[/quote]

It's called affirmative action.</p>

<p>How is it called affirmative action??? what are you trying to say BLUE? that only minorities are dumb?</p>

<p>
[quote]
How is it called affirmative action??? what are you trying to say BLUE? that only minorities are dumb?

[/quote]

It is easier for students with lower qualifications to be admitted if they're minorities.</p>

<p>I disagree...I'm white...and I've met QUITE a few idiot white people...moreso than any other race actually..lol.</p>

<p>But that should be the end of that. The last thing we need is a race battle right here on CC.</p>

<p>CCG could not have answered the question better, the student at a top ranked university with a weaker gpa and courses will be a less competitive applicant than an applicant with a high gpa and rigorous course list even from an unranked uni. FSU is not a bad school at all, the only problem with FSU is Tallahasse and trust me.. gainesville isn't any better lol.</p>

<p>Tallahassee is the best part of FSU. It's a great college town with a fun social scene. I guess it all depends on your taste. To each his own.</p>

<p>Hey i discriminate, but at least i do it fairly and evenly, so thats all I ask... Secondly Tallahassee is extremely boring unless your a student, and if you are a student its a big party school and I mean BIG!!!! so you decide if thats your taste or not</p>

<p>
[quote]
It is easier for students with lower qualifications to be admitted if they're minorities.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Another false statement. It depends on many other things than URM status. In a holistic process, besides ethnicity, they consider special talent, geographical diversity, athleticism, ability, recs, essays, community service, legacy status, developmental prospects, socioeconomic class, gender, et al.</p>

<p>The assumption made by this remark just shows how misinformed some are, and how they couch their biases in over generalizations. Rural and low-income non-URMs are also given a boost because of economic inequity. But, I would not say that they would necessarily be admitted with lower qualifications (based on grades or scores). There are many factors that selective colleges look at when review an application.</p>

<p>I agree, close this thread before this turns into an affirmative action thread..</p>

<p>Good idea, burgler09.</p>

<p>If the OP doesn't feel enough feedback is here on the actual question, I suggest starting a new thread. But I think there has been good advice here ON TOPIC.</p>