Transferring from Private to UC

<p>Hi, I'm debating on whether or not I should transfer and ANY insight would be most helpful. I currently attend a private liberal arts school in CA as a freshman Poli Sci major. I was thinking about transferring to a UC because: a) I want to change majors to Econ - my private college doesn't offer that major and b) the private school cost is not as manageable as I expected it to be. Ideally, I'm looking towards schools in Socal: UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCR.</p>

<p>So while I hear that transferring to one from a private is not impossible, UC transfer profiles tell me it's less probable than transferring from CC's - plus or minus 90% of transfers to UC's come from CC's, leaving the remaining 10% split. And under Fall 2011 stats, 2 people from my school applied to UCLA, none got in. Anyways, the question is, with the least cost and credit transfer loss possible, is it better to finish my private school until I hit junior status, at which point I attempt to transfer? Or is it better to finish my freshman spring semester, go to CC for sophomore, at which point I transfer for junior year?</p>

<p>Is there anyone who has been in this situation as well, or has had experience with this? Out of all the private schools in California, there must be some students that aimed to transfer to a UC! It's been keeping me up for the past couple of nights.........help??</p>

<p>Going to a ccc first will greatly improve your chances of getting into a UC.</p>

<p>Go the CCC route, at my community college there are some people who've dropped out of privates to go for UC transfer. Not only does it save money, but the classes are easier, especially for your major, and you'll stand a better chance of transferring.</p>

<p>If you attempt to transfer out at the end of your sophomore year, you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage in the applicant pool. Like you said, the statistics are against you. If you want to transfer, do yourself a favor and go to a community college and go from there. That way your chances of getting accepted to the universities listed will be greatly increased.</p>