Beyond subjective aspects, it would be best, in my opinion, if you also arrive at a tangible reason for desiring to transfer, such as interest in a particular program, course sequence or major.
By healthy you mean greater than one? Based on what I hear from friend’s kids, Washington and Lee is known for its lack of racial diversity. Fewer black students than my kid’s Boarding School. Richmond and Davidson are a little better, but juuuust a little. And if the issue is privileged private school/full pay types, well…
But I’m a little fuzzy on what really bothers OP. They mentioned that they’re a student of Color, but it doesn’t feel like they have a problem with the racial diversity at WesU (hard to do for a school of its type). I can’t tell if if it’s too much politics overall or too much politics of one side, nor am I able to hone in on the cultural gaps OP finds problematic, but would be interested to know more about OP’s own background (like, where are you from?).
Cultural fit is a pretty tangible reason for desiring a transfer.
Agree. The successful transfers I know (both getting in AND being happy with their decision) had a specific, academic/intellectual reason for the transfer. Wanted a major with more depth than at their original institution; wanted to combine a major and minor which was impossible where they were; wanted a specific foreign language not available because they were interested in diplomacy/State Department etc.
The social, campus climate, surrounding town of course plays a part. But adcom’s aren’t that interested in “your city has more fun things to do than Middletown” as a decision factor.
Understandable & reasonable reasons to consider transferring. Nevertheless, it is important to highlight tangible reasons, such as major area of study or course sequence, for desiring to transfer to any particular school.
This is getting semantical ![]()
I doubt the kid’s going to leave out the courses they are interested in and/or found interesting at WesU and fully expect that they will communicate the fact that they want to pursue that interest at NewSchool.
But bad cultural fit is a perfectly appropriate reason to want to transfer. AO’s look for students who “get them” on the way in. Don’t think any less so in a transfer. In fact perhaps more compelling having been at another great academic institution.
At this point hopefully we hear more from OP And transferring to an equally selective name might be low odds.
That’s very perceptive of you. I was particularly struck by this statement:
Overtly political, activist and drug-heavy, I can understand. But who doesn’t like the “extraordinarily artsy”? The enthusiastic theater person down the hall? Or the movie fan next door? The Ebony Singers? A first-rate jazz concert?
Wesleyan has a completely student-run Film Series that runs four nights a week and guess what? With certain exceptions (like last week’s “Marty Supreme” showing) they are severely under-attended due to competition from the streaming services. One pleasant consequence, however, (I know from experience) is that you can approach people after a showing and strike up a conversation.
I doubt it’s an issue of not liking those students, but more of a lack of fit. My D took a NESCAC LAC off the list because there were too many ‘artsy’ people walking around campus.
I literally don’t understand.
Ok then. Hopefully OP will come back and provide more details as to why they want to transfer from Wes.
Illustrating the Opposite of Artsy might be helpful.
Maybe OP can contribute.
At this point I think we’re talking amongst ourselves. If interested @fdoodle can come back with clarifications and feedback.
Maybe the student isn’t interested in the arts? My S26 crossed schools off his list when it seemed like students were very preppy or sporty. To him, it was an indication that he might not find his people. As shallow as it was, it did help narrow the list. Since OP is already at the school, I would hope they’d look beyond clothing to find the person but maybe they’ve had enough interactions to feel confident this isn’t their place. I have also seen in a few reviews on other sites that Wesleyan students can form groups around where they come from — lots of NYC, Boston, LA, Bay Area students who find or know each other. I think some of the suggested schools could be great options—Rice, UChicago and Northwestern in particular. Overall, I think OP may be happier at a larger school with close access to a city.
Yeah, I get it. It’s a gut-wrenching situation; I don’t like seeing anyone unhappy, especially a young person. As an artist, I was a little blown away by that particular piece of the OP’s critique since It’s been always my understanding that the arts were a source of solace not pain and moreover a traditional pathway for low-income people to find meaningful, tangible connections with each other. But what do I know? I’m old.
College Navigator - Washington and Lee University says that WLU undergraduates are 5% Black and 68% White. Only 12% of undergraduates are on Pell grants there.
WLU also has 72% fraternity and sorority participation, according to https://my.wlu.edu/document/2024-common-data-set .
Wasn’t Fall of 2024 the class cohort immediately following the Supreme Court decision striking down AA?
W&L’s Black enrollment is comparable to many, if not most LACs, including Bates and Oberlin, to name two. I really wish posters would stop holding it up as an outlier, it is not (unfortunately).
However I do not know if it would be a good fit for the OP.
Here is the link to the demographic breakdown for the class of 2029, where 22% of the class is domestic students of color.
There are lots of people who engage in the arts who provide joy and beauty to many and who appreciate the arts as an outlet for self-expression. My guess is that the OP has no complaint about these folks
There are also people who are strident and maybe even aggressive in being non-conformist, disparaging those who are more conformist in their self-expression. This group is not inviting or inclusive and can even be threatening and oppressive - especially for someone who just wants to feel like they fit in. And doubly so for the conformist who doesn’t have arty inclinations. The conformist who does have arty inclinations may make productive connections within this clique.
Really, this is just a different version of too fratty, too preppy, too sporty for the kid who doesn’t fit that mold. Different dominant cultures - and not all will be equally comfortable for everyone.
What about Tufts? Bigger but not huge, livelier location just outside a big city. Similar in prestige. Relatively diverse. Maybe worth checking out?