Transfers, CC, and financial aid

<p>I read advice often given here, to do 1-2 years at community college (CC), and then transfer to a 4 year college to complete one's degree. I also read that it is difficult to get financial aid when one transfers, since aid is often lined up for 4 years for incoming first year students, and therefore all promised out, and not available for transfer students. So what's the deal? What is the experience that people have had? I think this is a pertinent question for this time of year, as students are deciding what to do with too-small financial aid packages (I have been seeing a lot of those in my work as a college admissions counselor).</p>

<p>Community college students who earn good grades, especially those who qualify for membership in Phi Theta Kappa, can end up with good with scholarships. All community colleges have some advising available for the transfer process. The better ones have dedicated transfer counselors, and the best of those spend a large part of their time tracking down big money for their best students and helping their students find good places to transfer to. Here is a link to the Transfer section of our local community college website. I’ve met the head of that office on several occasions, she is one dynamic lady. Her top students land all kinds of great offers every year. [Counseling</a> & Advising | Transferring](<a href=“]Counseling”></p>

<p>That said, most community college students will transfer to one of their own home-state public universities for the very same reason that they chose the community college for the first two years. They do not have the academic profile, personal interest, or money to aspire to something else. However, considering that nationwide, the second largest group of traditional age college students is at home-state public universities (the largest group is at the community colleges) it really isn’t all that bad of a fate. They can get fine educations that will prepare them for a good future by following this route.</p>