Traveling on passport with maiden name

<p>My husband and I are thinking of extending a work trip to England he's making in about 6 weeks with a personal vacation of our own. I would travel to London at the end of his conference and we would spend a few days there together. </p>

<p>We got married almost three years ago (as some of you may recall :)), and I never got around to changing my name on my passport. It is still valid for several more years, but in my maiden name. </p>

<p>Would it cause problems to travel on that passport? I could request expedited service for a name change on my passport, but of course it would be simpler just to buy plane tickets under my maiden name and use my current passport.</p>

<p>Just buy the ticket under your maiden name, I suppose. No need to create problems where there are none.</p>

<p>Many new brides do it. Make the reservation in your maiden name and use that passport.</p>

<p>For new brides, remember that if you get a passport so you can go on your honeymoon, the passport will be in your maiden name. If you change to your married name within one year, it will be easier and cheaper.</p>

<p>Only question that could come up is if you are asked to show the credit card that was used to purchase the ticket and the credit card has a different name on it. We had this happen with D2 when she came home for Easter. I had bought for and paid for the ticket with my credit card, so when she went to check in, they wouldn't let her. So, at the counter, they billed her credit card for the trip and issued a credit on my credit card. What a pain. </p>

<p>What name is on your major credit card?</p>

<p>Don't ever throw a passport out, no matter what. That's an additional hurdle if you ever need another one.</p>

<p>I think you should be able to update it before you go in 6 weeks. You could even have it expedited for a bit more. In this age I'm just not sure I would risk it.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Correct. The key thing (under current tight security rules) is that the name on the ticket and the name on the passport must exactly match, including same middle name and no nicknames. </p>

<p>Same thing applies to your husband. If his passport spells out his middle name but his ticket has only his middle initial he could run into trouble at various security checks. This is especially true for international travel.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I had bought for and paid for the ticket with my credit card, so when she went to check in, they wouldn't let her.

[/quote]
I've flown a lot and have never heard of this happening. I've purchased airline tickets on my cc for others with a different last name than mine lots of times and there's never been an issue. There's no law that says the person flying must purchase the ticket themselves. All the airline websites permit one to purchase a ticket but have the passenger be someone else which is why they have one field for the purchaser info and a different field for the passenger info. </p>

<p>What airline was it and what was their theory for denying her?</p>

<p>Three years is no longer newlywed.</p>

<p>Last fall I travelled to the UK with my daughter. We went to have a vacation prior to her study abroad. At the airport I had to show the credit card I used to pay for the tickets. It said on our reservation this would happen. Since we were returning separately, I made sure the airline made a note not to ask D for the credit card upon her return, because that would be impossible. They put a note in their file, and D was not asked upon her December reutrn, but probably if I had not done that, the same thing that happened to teriwtt's D might have happened to mine.</p>

<p>"Three years is no longer newlywed."</p>

<p>I will always think of mollie as a bride - a bride with a bunny to be exact.</p>

<p>She MUST be a newlywed if I can STILL remember the event!</p>

<p>I never changed the name on my drivers license and it's been 19 years! My passport is in my married name as are all my credit/debit cards and I do travel with my passport, even domestically, instead of just my drivers license for picture id. When I do need to show picture id in other instances I just explain the difference and that I'm just too lazy to switch it at this point which generally brings a chuckle.</p>

<p>As everyone has said, it's the match that matters. Enjoy!</p>

<p>I have been married for 32 years and never changed my name. I can't think of an instance that it came up even when my husband purchased tickets for me (to travel alone) - I assume that was because the credit card number was the same on both cards.</p>

<p>I was counseled that if my daughter and I were traveling alone to bring my daughter's birth certificate along with our passports when leaving the country or flying anywhere to prove that she was my child.</p>

<p>Mollie, did you change your name with Social Security? Not relevant to travel--but we experienced a hassle with the IRS (many years ago) when the name on the income tax form did not match the name in the Social Security files. I agree with the posters who say: just book the ticket in your maiden name and use your passport with that name. I have paid for QMP's airline tickets (QMP is still a student) with my credit card, and have never run into a problem about that.</p>

<p>If the name on your social doesn't match your "name"...it will get noticed by the IRS when you do your taxes...been there done that. I filed my taxes using my married name, but I had not updated SS administration...got bounced back to me. It was a PITA.</p>

<p>Re: travel...as others have noted...the match between your ID and ticket are what matters.</p>

<p>My passport has my full name; first, birth surname, married (first husband's name--chose not to change after divorce because I LIKE it). My tickets always have my "maiden" initial and I've never had a problem. My credit cards just have the "maiden" initial. I've been to some places with extremely strict border control. Nowadays I'd advise women to just keep their birth names.</p>

<p>

I did -- I was very good about changing my name everywhere else right away. My passport is, I think, the only thing that never got changed, mostly because a co-worker had bought a plane ticket for me for a work conference that happened about two months after the wedding, and she'd purchased it under my maiden name. So by the time I had used the passport to travel to the conference, I had already changed my name everywhere else, and changing my passport totally slipped my mind.</p>

<p>If there's a problem with the name on my credit card (which is my married name) not matching the reservation, I can just buy the tickets with my husband's card. No problem there.</p>

<p>Re: whether we are still newlyweds after almost three years, we got free dessert at a restaurant a few months ago because the waiter was sure we must be newlyweds. :) He was very surprised to hear how long we'd been married.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What airline was it and what was their theory for denying her?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>It was United and they never really said. However, while D was checking in, she called me on my cell phone to tell me what was happening, and then handed her cell phone over to the ticketing agent. I explained that I was the cardholder who had purchased the ticket. The only thing I can think of is we used a United travel certificate for part of the purchase, and I paid the balance with my credit card. But the travel certificate was transferable with no restrictions.</p>

<p>My teenage son had to check-in at the airport a couple of times because he could not print out a boarding pass on-line within 24 hours of his flight. He would check-in using the credit card linked to his ticket. For this reason, I always purchase his ticket using his credit card (with his name on it) even though I was the one who bought and paid for the ticket. This was for both Delta and United flights. I believe a United agent had also asked my S for his credit card at O’Hare before.</p>

<p>Hmmm, that's a bit of a concern, since I just bought my D's study abroad ticket on my CC, since the cost was higher than her credit limit! I'll have to give that some thought.</p>