Tufts vs. McGill

<p>Can someone explain the major differences?</p>

<p>I can only share my perceptions from our tours of both schools. With some regrets, my D applied to Tufts and not McGill.</p>

<p>Both schools are in great cities. At McGill, you are in the city and at Tufts, you are in the suburbs. The subway is at your doorstep at McGill. At Tufts you have to walk down a very long hill to get to it. My D felt that although classes are taught in English at McGill, it would be easier to fit into the city and environment if she knew French. </p>

<p>It is my understanding that classes are larger and funding is a bit more limited at McGill. While I think McGill is an excellent school, I think overall you would get a more well-rounded education at Tufts as an undergrad. Tufts also has a greater emphasis on public service and opportunities for study abroad.</p>

<p>McGill > Tufts IMO, but not by much. McGill's has an amazing worldwide reputation, can't say the same about the ivy-backup though.</p>

<p>This is correct: </p>

<p>
[quote]
It is my understanding that classes are larger and funding is a bit more limited at McGill. While I think McGill is an excellent school, I think overall you would get a more well-rounded education at Tufts as an undergrad. Tufts also has a greater emphasis on public service and opportunities for study abroad.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This, however, is misleading:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Both schools are in great cities. At McGill, you are in the city and at Tufts, you are in the suburbs. The subway is at your doorstep at McGill. At Tufts you have to walk down a very long hill to get to it. My D felt that although classes are taught in English at McGill, it would be easier to fit into the city and environment if she knew French.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Tufts is technically in the suburbs, but Somerville/Medford (and Cambridge, where Harvard and MIT are), are Boston for all practical purposes. The walk to the subway stop at Davis Square is no more than 10 minutes. I've done it four, at a super brisk pace (hey, I'm a city girl).</p>

<p>I think Tufts are still in the City as Medford can not really be considered as non-city area...Also the subway is quite close if you are in the dorm of downhill...
Just my personal suggestions. =)</p>

<p>Very large class size at McGill University. Many classes average over 550 students. McGill Univ., as discussed before on CC, is well known for its graduate schools. Lots of drinking. Positives re: McGill are that it is inexpensive compared to U.S. private schools & Montreal is beautiful & exciting.</p>

<p>Both great schools. Completely different places.</p>

<p>For one thing, McGill is HUGE compared to Tufts--maybe 5 times the number of undergrads? Consequently, it doesn't have the nurturing aspects of Tufts and other smaller schools. For example, the freshmen I know at McGill are already living independently in apartments. And they don't get the attention from professors that students can expect at Tufts. </p>

<p>I think I'd compare McGill to Berkeley or Michigan before I'd compare it to Tufts.</p>

<p>lolabelle -
I live in Massachusetts and have visited Tufts.<br>
Somerville is not far from the city, but is DEFINITELY NOT the city for all intents and purposes. At all.</p>

<p>Peejay,</p>

<p>I went to Tufts, and I don't know that anyone -- taxicabs, Boston residents, etc. -- ever considered Somerville "far away" or not part of Boston metro. It's just like Cambridge.</p>

<p>Somerville residents don't consider themselves part of the Hub, but they're pretty much on the outskirts of the city.</p>

<p>For</a> reference, here's a map of colleges around Boston.</p>

<p>But you do have to take into consideration how small boston proper is. One can easily walk from Tufts to Harvard in 20 mins, so yes, it may be on the outskirts, but it's a damn small city</p>

<p>Yes, absolutely</p>

<p>they are in different countries?</p>

<p>
[quote]
they are in different countries?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>yes. McGill is in Canada. You might not notice as long as you stay on campus, since a large % of your classmates will be Americans. </p>

<p>Montreal is COLD!!!</p>

<p>
[quote]
McGill > Tufts IMO, but not by much. McGill's has an amazing worldwide reputation, can't say the same about the ivy-backup though.

[/quote]

if that's how you think, you'll be miserable anywhere except HYPS.</p>