Tuition after moving out of state?

<p>What happens if you attend a state school, pay in-state tution, but then must relocate out of state? There is a small possibility that this may happen to us now. (Son is thinking of an in-state college but has not applied.) Are students "grandfathered" into their present in-state status, or will tution jump to OOS levels if the family no longer lives in state? We're looking at New York state specifically, but I'd also be interested in this as a general principle and how it works in other states if anyone has knowledge or experience with this issue.</p>

<p>Definitely grandfathered in my state.
It wouldn't make sense if colleges didn't have this policy, because then if the parents moved, the student would not be eligible for in-state tuition in any state for a year.</p>

<p>FinAid</a> | In-State Tuition and State Residency Requirements</p>

<p>SUNY:</a> Residency</p>

<p>Can be a problem. I would call financial aid in the present state and in the potential future state to ask how this would be handled- and speak with someone in authority, not just the phone answerer.</p>

<p>You can also google to see if the states you're considering have any residency FAQs posted. Just as an example: See "minor whos parent moves"- the typo is theirs, btw. <a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Does any state school really check this after the child has been going to the school?</p>

<p>I would think if the student moves off campus after the first year, how would the school even know if the student is living with parents at a new address or living with a roommate?</p>

<p>How would the school know?<br>
Financial aid paperwork, for one.
Looking at the CA info, it seems there are plenty of conditions where OP might be ok. The SUNY info, however, is not as detailed.</p>

<p>If the student applies for financial aid and tax returns are required it will be VERY clear where the parents reside. Undergrad students are residents of wherer their parents reside.</p>

<p>Some states...your residency status remains the same as when you are an incoming freshman regardless.</p>

<p>Other states, if the family relocates and establishes residency in another state...the student loses their instate status.</p>

<p>Thank you for this thread! It has been a tremendous amount of help!</p>

<p>I was wondering the same thing. I’m moving from Georgia to Tennessee in February, and I’m worried that my Zell Miller scholarship (full tuition for GA residents with certain grades and SAT scores) will go away next year. Hopefully that’s not the case, because I really don’t want to transfer to any public schools in Tennessee…</p>

<p>This thread is three years old. Some of the information may be outdated. </p>

<p>Residency rules need to be checked for each individual school. Even schools within the same state’s public system sometimes have different residency criteria.</p>