Turning down offers & rescinding apps

<p>I think we can all agree (I hope) that turning down an offer at a school you know you aren't going to attend is the right thing to do so as to open up a slot for someone else, but how about rescinding an application to a school that you are 95% sure you aren't going to if you get in?</p>

<p>I'm talking about a school that you would LOVE to go to out of state but would only consider if you got a large merit award which is virtually impossible at this top school. </p>

<p>My gut says the honorable thing to do is withdraw the application but a part of me wants to see if a miracle occurs and also see if she gets into one of the hardest OOS schools for admittance.</p>

<p>No. 95 does not equal 100. What if you hit the lottery? Rich relative dies?</p>

<p>What does your student want to do? This is really their decision. FWIW, I would not advise my student to pull an app with information outstanding that might make a difference in their decision. Yes, if your student knows they have marked a school off their list then it is fine for them to pull their application, however it doesn't sound like this is the case.</p>

<p>Its part of the process and the schools know it and manage their yields by admitting more than they have room for. If there is any possible interest in attending a school that your child applied to (there should or why did they apply in the first place?), you should wait to have all the admission decisions and FA packages in front of you so that a rational decision can be made. The universal admissions decision date is May 1st so you have until then. If you are positive that you want to cross a school off of your list where you have an admission, return their response card and/or email/call the Admissions Office to formally decline. </p>

<p>Note that some schools will pressure you to respond earlier by stating that housing is first come - first served. Often you can hold a housing slot with a nominal deposit that may even be refundable in come cases. Each school is different in this area.</p>

<p>Unless something has changed since you applied, why withdraw the application?</p>

<p>I would wait until you have all of the acceptances and offers. As AvonHSDad said, schools expect that a certain percentage of students will not accept the offer to attend.</p>

<p>"schools expect that a certain percentage of students will not accept the offer to attend."</p>

<p>I know that, but I figured if we withdrew before the RD deadline then it might open up an actual slot for someone who is more likely to attend.</p>

<p>"Unless something has changed since you applied, why withdraw the application?"</p>

<p>What has changed is that this was a backup school in case D didn't get in at UVA.</p>

<p>There's no reason to withdraw the application. If your student is accepted and turns down the offer, that also opens up a slot for another student -- one on the waiting list. Same difference.</p>

<p>Here's the question your DD needs to ask herself...If I am accepted and receive the most merit aid possible at this school is there even the slightest chance I would attend over my current options (UVa)? If she is the least bit unsure then leave the app and let her find out. Her hard work has earned her the choice of at least finding out if it is an option. If she is 110% sure that under no circumstances she would attend this school over UVa if she were awarded the most merit possible, then she can withdrawal with no regrets.</p>

<p>Last year my son withdrew himself from consideration from an OOS school prior to merit aid being awarded (after being accepted) because he knew even if awarded the merit he would attend another school he had been accepted to. This was totally his choice and he wasn't concerned with finding out how much merit he would have been awarded as no amount would have made a difference in his decision.</p>

<p>I would not do it. The cost of time and maybe money to apply is enough to see where the chips fall.</p>

<p>I think turning down offers and rescinding applications once schools have been eliminated from consideration is a very nice and compassionate thing to do ... however I would never suggest doing either to the disadvantage of my child ... is there is any chance s/he would accept and use the slot than I advocate they keep that option open ... while closing options as soon as they know that option has been eliminated.</p>

<p>Why would you apply and then withdraw before getting a decision? It seems like a waste of an application fee.</p>

<p>


</p>

<p>School was a safety or backup behind some other school, but the other school produced an early acceptance with sufficient financial aid and scholarships so that it becomes a more desirable safety than the original safety or backup school (even if that school offers a full ride).</p>

<p>^ School is a reach according to the OP.</p>

<p>Seems it was a reach in terms of likely affordability, at least, but still viewed as a "backup" in case UVA didn't come through.</p>

<p>I must be reading a different thread than everyone else. OP said he/she is 95% sure not to get in, what about withdrawing the application.</p>

<p>Haha oops I just retread the thread a third time, I was reading it differently from everyone else....</p>

<p>Anyway why bother withdrawing, you don't know what will happen and you are not taking a spot from someone.</p>

<p>My understanding is that we are taking a spot from someone (assuming D is accepted of course). If she is accepted and turns them down someone else does not move up off the wait list unless the school miscalculated their yield. If on the other hand she has been accepted and turn them down now before the RD deadline then they do add another acceptance.</p>

<p>well, we were struggling with this as well. D applied to 9 schools. She has heard from 7 with 6 accepts and one decline. The other two will not hear back until end March. One we suspect will be admit, one is a big, big reach. Doubtful she will get in, but if she does, would definately have to think long and hard.</p>

<p>Of the 6 admits, three are her top contenders. The other three all offered merit, but she knows she does not want to attend. She has declined 2 of those(Just heard from the third last week) because she felt bad holding a spot and money that she knew she would not accept. Put a housing deposit in at one of the top three. I convinced her not to withdraw the other two until the end. I agree that she should consider all options. and there is no need to rush.</p>

<p>I think if there is a school you got into that you absolutely know you will NOT attend, then decline the acceptance. We did that with one school. It was our super safety, and they gave us a ton of money. Still have 5 other acceptances in hand, and waiting on 4 more.</p>