tv in dorm room

<p>i have a tv that i was going to bring with me to the dorm
but i was wondering does anyone know if a converter box is needed?? or do i just need the cable cord??
((my tv works before the digital tv transition...))</p>

<p>You don't need a converter box, there just a co-ax cable. Depending on the dorm, you might need a long one. My ds was in Carothers and both co-ax outlets were under his roomate's bed, so we had to get a really long cable and snake it around the microfridge and both beds!</p>

<p>my parents were considering throwing the tv out since we cant watch it at home w/o the converter box...
how come its different at ut??
and where can i get this cable??</p>

<p>What doesn't work anymore are analog TV's receiving local broadcasting. Since your dorm will have cable service, all you need is a co-ax cable, which you can get anywhere. Go to the electronics dept. at Target or Wal-Mart and ask for one. They will show you what you need. It just plugs into the back of your TV.</p>

<p>I have a spare coax cable if anyone needs it. It is around 10 feet long. good quality. PM me if you do. (It's free).</p>

<p>And if you want to get coax cables for free :), here's how:
If you have service through your cable provider, make up a reason (like some channels are not clear or internet is slow) and they will come over. And you might get lucky enough for that service personnel to give you one.</p>

<p>You can also go to store like Fry's Electronics and get 6 feet for like 99 cents. Never go to Radio Shack, they just mark up the prices.</p>