Two of Columbia's supplements are the same?

<p>Hi - so I'm having a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate some clarification.</p>

<p>Two of Columbia's 1500 char supplements are as follows:</p>

<p>-Please tell us what academic class has been your favorite and why.</p>

<p>-For applicants to Columbia College, please tell us what attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section. </p>

<p>If my favorite academic class is the same subject as my intended field of study (I know, how cliche), wouldn't these two be asking for essentially the same answer? Or am I completely misinterpreting the question and there's some fundamental difference between what the two are asking for? Can someone clarify the difference for me? I'm having hindsight worries.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>bump. Please help!</p>

<p>There's obviously overlap if the subjects are the same, but there's room for differences. Perhaps your teacher was especially good, for example. In what way? Maybe you came to the realization that that subject was what you wanted to spend the rest of your life working on while in that class. You can be specific about the class.</p>

<p>For the essay on your favorite class, literally talk about the class: the teacher, the room, the projects, etc. Then I would address how that class has motivated you to major in that subject.
For the essay on your intended field of study, talk about why you want to study it. What do you plan to do with it later in life? How will Columbia help you achieve your goals in this subject?
Just my thoughts. They're short essays, so I think you could write about both without overlapping too much.</p>

<p>What your favorite class is and what you want to major in at Columbia may not be the same. For example a Language Arts class could have been your favorite academic class for several reasons, but you want to major in Biology. In this case that they're the same, when describing the class, be specific about the class itself and in the other one talk about the subject matter more.</p>

<p>This may be a clarification - most people interpret "class" as rentacop said - a period in school where you had a teacher, a set of classmates, a book, etc. (Mr. Loblaw's 6th Period AP Ice Cream Making, for example) It can be more about the experience than the subject matter, honestly. Sounds like you may be mixing it up with "subject" (Culinary Arts, continuing with the trend), which would basically be the same thing as fields of study.</p>