types of schools with good financial aid

<p>hello. i'm helping my sister, an up-coming senior come up with a list of colleges. her first time act score was 32 (not sure if she's retaking) and she is ranked either 1 or 2 in her high school class, with the standard ec's and a couple of leadership positions.</p>

<p>financial aid is a big factor in whether she ends up going to the top public school in our state or somewhere else. unfortunately, i don't believe the demonstrated need is low enough for her to qualify for large offers.</p>

<p>what are the types of schools that offer good aid overall? is it true that out of state public schools are the hardest to get aid from? what about larger private universities? lacs?</p>

<p>she's trying find the balance between her chances of aid and selectivity which corresponds with her scores in coming up with a list of schools to apply to.</p>

<p>thanks for any suggestions!</p>

<p>With a score of 32 and good rank, </p>

<p>1) Either get into top 15 private, get need based aid
2) Apply to 50+ ranked schools for merit aid
3) Ignore all elite public schools
3) Apply for merit at second tier public schools (especially those national merit guaranteed full rides)</p>

<p>The Princeton Review does a ranking of colleges where students are satisfied with aid.
LAC's are often a good bet, but it varies widely, so I'd check on a school-to-school basis for those. My sister got a lot of aid from Wake Forest, but that's the only one I know first-hand.
Elite schools will usually do well with aid since they have both a want for socioeconomic diversity and a means (endowment) to accomplish it.</p>

<p>Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tulane...</p>

<p>Rhodes (TN), Centre (KY), Denison and Wooster (both in OH).</p>

<p>

Then you should not be looking for schools with "good financial aid" (which is what your thread title says), you should be looking for schools with good *merit aid *for students with your sister's GPA/test score combo. It might be a good idea to start a new thread - most people clicking in will be doing so because they see the title and have a school with good *financial aid *in mind, but your sister will not qualify for that aid unless she has demonstrated need. Good luck!</p>

<p>Ivies, Duke, Colgate, Holy Cross other need blind schools.</p>

<p>Apart from post #7's excellent proving of post #6, unless she's a National Merit Finalist (or National Achievement, sometimes) who will be looking into the full rides at some of the lesser, mostly-public universities, she should be looking at schools that might be under her academically but that give excellent aid to attract students. Out-of-state publics are often the hardest to get aid out of, unless they're really not very good at all or have a hard time attracting people. Larger private universities can be quite good or quite bad with aid, depending both on the university itself and the academic quality in relation to the applicant's- NYU is kind of (in)famously bad, but I've heard Tulane mentioned as giving very good aid (and thus getting way more competitive... bleh). As for LACs, it depends quite a bit on the college. A high-ranked one will be very likely to give little to no merit aid, while a much lesser-known one is going to be giving out a lot more scholarships (one of these might be your best bet).</p>

<p>I 2nd Erin's dad, large public Southerns for merit aid</p>

<p>Mr. Whymper - It would help if you post her UW GPA (I know she is high in her class rank, but it still helps) and how many AP's she has already taken and will be taking this year.</p>

<p>What also helps focus the list is knowing what she would like best in a school. The usual questions she should answer are:</p>

<p>1) Size of school
2) Location (urban, suburban, rural)
3) Region of the country (does it have to be within a certain distance from home, or are there some regions you just do/don't want}
4) Weather preference (warm, medium, love snow)
5) Are sports important. either as a spectator or a participant?
6) Are Fraternities/Soroities in your future?
7) Anything else that is of particular importance to you personally?</p>

<p>Knowing these answers, people can suggest schools that have good merit aid that meet some or all of these preferences. It is easy to say "I don't care about these things, I just want the best school I can get into", and that may be true at some level. But 4 years at a place is a fair amount of time, and trudging through icy winds and snow when what you really like is shorts and t-shirts can get pretty old fast. The personal side should not be overlooked.</p>