Typo!

<p>It's on this page:
Cost</a> & Aid Basics | MIT Admissions</p>

<p>
[quote]

The total price for MIT - tuition and fees, housing and dining , expenses, etc - is in excess of $55,000 a year. Believe it or not, this price is actually thousands of dollars less than what it actually costs to be a student at MIT...

[/quote]

I certainly hope that's a typo!</p>

<p>They mean it costs MIT more than $55,000/year per student, even for students that pay full tuition. I.E. Even full tuition is subsidized by MIT. </p>

<p>They don't mean it costs more than $55,000/year to attend.</p>

<p>I disagree.</p>

<p>"what it costs to be a student" means the amount that you must pay to be a student, not the amount the school must pay for you to be a student.</p>

<p>You didn't quote the end of the sentence. Did you read it? Adam5400 is correct.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Believe it or not, this price is actually thousands of dollars less than what it actually costs to be a student at MIT - even students who don't receive financial aid are already receiving a considerable subsidy to study here!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Definitely not a typo. Dogod11 - you're confusing cost with price.</p>

<p>Hmm, I must be misreading.
The way I read it was "this [amount you might potentially have to pay] is actually thousands of dollars less than [actual amount you have to pay]"</p>

<p>Can you please tell me the correct way to read it?</p>

<p>I think it would read better as, "...thousands of dollars less than it costs MIT to educate the student."</p>

<p>The correct way to read it is "the amount you have to pay is substantially less than it costs for MIT to educate you", as MaineLonghorn said. </p>

<p>Does that make sense? I don't know how else to say it.</p>

<p>Ok, so think of it this way: being a student at MIT incurs certain costs, right? Your housing, your food, the electricity that powers your room and devices, the salaries of the teachers who teach you, the buildings you go to class in, and so forth. </p>

<p>Suppose you divide the costs of running the entire university by the number of students the university has, such that the cost, per student, is $X. </p>

<p>We do not charge each student $X per annum. We charge significantly less than $X, even before you factor in financial aid. We make up the difference with our generous donor alums, federal funding, whatever. </p>

<p>That's why we say the PRICE of MIT (what the student pays) is significantly less than the COST of MIT (what each student costs the school to continue to function).</p>

<p>I didn't need an explanation for post number 2, I just wasn't reading the sentence that way.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>