UC Blue + Gold Opportunity Plan

<p>I am the first of 4 kids going to college, and I have a single mom who makes less than 80k a year. Why would I not qualify for this plan??</p>

<p>As long as you meet all the other requirements, you should. Please note that sometimes the amount will be reduced by other FA that maybe offered. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/paying-for-uc/financial-aid/grants/blue-gold/index.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/paying-for-uc/financial-aid/grants/blue-gold/index.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>"Under the plan, your systemwide fees will be fully covered by scholarship or grant money if you are in your first four years at UC (two if you're a transfer student).
The plan combines all sources of scholarship and grant awards you receive (federal, state, UC and private) to count toward covering your fees. If, for example, you receive Pell and Cal Grants and private scholarships that don't fully cover your fees, UC grant money will make up the difference."</p>

<p>We didn't qualify for Cal Grants and other aid so my sons offer was about 9K I believe (before fees went up). He's not going to a UC, so am trying to do from memory. Good luck!</p>

<p>Note: Unfortunately, we found the FA for UCs to be not so great. Not their fault...no money. Hopefully yours will be better. Some of the UCs also have program/merit scholarships depending upon your major.</p>

<p>Well, here's where I am confused: it didn't even say I demonstrated financial need, so I didn't get the Pell or Cal Grants.. that's the only thing I don't "meet." It doesn't make sense because with a single mom of 4 kids, living in California under 80k income, how does that not demonstrate financial need? But thank you so much for your help!</p>

<p>Just a little confused...what do you mean by "it didn't say I demonstrated financial need". Do you mean the FAFSA? We didn't get those 2 offered either but yes he did get the B&G. As long as you do your FAFSA and the school sends in the grade verification form, you should see it on your FA letter in the spring (if you are admitted). Unless you have possibly have a lot of assets? Not sure why you wouldn't get it.</p>

<p>Getting admitted is half the battle LOL.</p>

<p>Well I am incoming freshman to UC Irvine this fall. And yes, I mean the FAFSA didn't give me anything, so that is why I am so confused :( In addition, my mom is only paying 15k for college and I have to pay the rest but there's no way to write that on the FAFSA ;)</p>

<p>Well there are some assets that the FAFSA does consider and that might be the issue. Our assets were pretty minimum. Not sure what to tell you as I know we couldn't afford to pay $15k a year without loans. </p>

<p>Did you get your FA letter from the college yet? Did you get any workstudy?</p>

<p>We need more info...</p>

<p>How much does your mom get in child support?</p>

<p>Does she have any assets?</p>

<p>Do you kids have any kind of college funds?</p>

<p>What was your EFC?</p>

<p>Fafsa doesn't "give" you anything...it's an application for Federal aid. </p>

<p>Blue and Gold is a state program.</p>

<p>^^^^ what she said LOL^^^^^</p>

<p>This is an estimator...it's only as good as the info provided:
University</a> of California - Financial aid</p>