UC Chance for a Junior

<p>Hi, i'm kinda new to the forum and after reading all the stats for the UCs, i'm getting pretty worried about my chances to get into a UC. Any help is greatly appreciated and i will try to help other people out if i can.</p>

<p>Race:Chinese
Parent Income:~25,000 (only have a mom)
GPA: 3.8 Cumulative
7 honors classes, 1 AP (so far)
SAT
CR:590
Math:650
Writing:650
PSAT:165 in sophomore year
SAT 2 not available yet.
Extracirricular:
2 years Dragonboat
CSF-california scholarship federation member
50hrs+ BuildOn Club-volunteer with proceeds that go to building schools in africa
(planning to volunteer all summer long at UCSF hospital)</p>

<p>bring up the SAT, and is that 3.8 weighted or unweighted? </p>

<p>unweighted? you got yourself a chance at probably SD, if not, then MAYBE UCI.
bring up the SAT and if your 3.8 is unweighted, you have a good chance at LA</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback. unfortunately, that gpa is weighted. ;[ how about a chance at UC Davis? i'm want to go to schools somewhat close and somewhat far away from home.( i live in SF). I also took the SAT 2 times already. Should i just take it once more?</p>

<p>Try bring your SAT to 700+. CR needs improvement. Can't really decide because you haven't taken SAT-II. Just make sure it's on the 700 scale. </p>

<p>UC Davis - Maybe
UC LA - reach
UC SD - reach</p>

<p>What's dragonboat? I think UCD is about a match/high match. </p>

<p>Are you using your UC GPA as well? Remember that when applying for UCs, you don't need to include your freshman year, and you may give weight to a maximum of eight approved weighted courses.</p>

<p>thanks for the feedback!
dragonboat is a team sport consisting of 20 paddlers, 1 steerman, and 1 drummer(counter). It is similar to canoeing or crew.
oh, someof the UC's(davis, Cal,LA,SD maybe) have dragonboat teams that compete a few times per year</p>

<p>I chekced my GPA so far and it seems like only two of my ap/honors classes are approved.(both for junior year) ;[ i calculated my gpa for sophomore year and it is 3.78. i'll add my junior fall semester in a few days when my grades are finalized.</p>

<p>What we all have to remember is that the UCs, even the best ones such as Cal and UCLA, recruit by the numbers. Most of the UCs receive ridiculously large amounts of applications each year (Cal and UCLA received 48,000 and 55,000 applicants, respectively), so they don't spend as much time thinking about your extracurriculars.</p>

<p>That being said, you have a very good chance in UC Davis and those ranked below UCD. You're practically in for UCs below Santa Barbara and Irvine. You have a decent chance at UCSD (about 30% chance), but for UCLA and UCB, you're chances are very low. The SAT scores are lower than average for both universities, and at your GPA range (3.7 to 4.0), the UCB admits only 10% and UCLA admits only 8%.</p>

<p>flight: Santa Barbara actually isn't that easy to get into lol. Irvine is more selective than Davis about the same as SB.</p>

<p>
[quote]
You're practically in for UCs below Santa Barbara and Irvine.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Not correct. </p>

<p>Yes, work on the SATs. Given the budget crisis, all of the UCs will be taking fewer students. And they all are trying to attract more OOS students who pay much higher tuition. Since there will be fewer spots for CA students, the stats of admitted students will probably keep going up. </p>

<p>Your course load is not as rigorous as UCs like to see and your GPA is on the low side. A strong SAT score will help your overall picture.</p>

<p>Admission stats from last year:</p>

<p>UC</a> Admissions Statistics</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice guys. I was wondering if the honors classes i took before that did not qualify for extra points had any effect compared to normal classes. The honors classes include integrated math3/4(geometry) integrated math 5/6(adv alg) amer lit honors ,modern world honors, english honors(sophomore year), and biology honors. Next year i am planning to take ap calc, euro lit, amer democracy/econ, art/guitar, a class at city college(prelaw type) and maybe ap chem depending on my schedule.</p>

<p>I found out my GPA up to the fall semester. Unfortunately, it dropped. ;[. It is based on the UC system
UW:3.723
Weighted:3.83</p>

<p>i know i shouldnt have bumped a very old post, but i have important updates.</p>

<p>my UC GPA is 3.73 unweighted and 3.91 weighted.
i recieved a 3 ;[ on my AP biolgy ap test
SAT II's: Biology E- 590, Math LVL2, 650 ( will retake both in november)</p>

<p>any help is really, really appreciated.</p>

<p>I think you'll be okay for UCSB and below, assuming you're not applying as an engineering major.</p>

<p>what would count as under ucsb? i'm guessing ucm, ucr, and ucsc. how about irvine & davis?</p>

<p>UCSB and Davis are basically the exact same. Im not sure about irvine, for me i think it's easier because im white. haha but i'd say ucsb and davis are both matches. you aren't under or overqualified.</p>