UC how much more selective for international students?

<p>Hi, </p>

<p>I am a student applying from India.
I was just wondering how much more selective UC schools are regarding international students?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Will you be applying as a freshman or a transfer?</p>

<p>A lot of international students attend California Community Colleges first. This has two advantages: it gives them priority consideration when applying to UCs (including Berkeley and UCLA), and it also saves a heck of a lot on tuition because CCCs are so much less expensive than UCs (even paying non-resident tuition).</p>

<p>If you're applying as a freshman it will be a bit more challenging, but it's easier now than it was a few years ago. Because non-resident students pay so much more, UCs have been expanding their enrollment. Essentially what they're doing is keeping in-state admission numbers (that is, the number of admits) static, but letting in more out-of-state students. The idea is that the out-of-state students subsidize the in-state students.</p>

<p>Anyway, if you're looking for advice, I'd do two years at a California Community College. You'll have more advantages than just cost and priority admissions to UC. For instance, lower division classes at CCCs are often much smaller than at UC. </p>

<p>Take a look at Math 1A and 1B (lower-division calculus) at Berkeley: 200 students and 400 students, respectively. At Citrus College (one of the two I attended), the comparable classes each have just 40 students. Going the CCC route affords you the best of both worlds.</p>

<p>That's assuming the learning experience at a CC and a UC are equivalent, which I highly doubt. Also note that if you intend to major in something technical like computer science, you will have to repeat the whole series of lower division prerequisite courses at berkeley as the school does not allow you to substitute those foundation courses with CC ones. This means that you'll lose the opportunity to take more upper division courses, in effect shortchanging your education.</p>

<p>I would suggest you try your best to get in as a freshman first above all. UCB is just slightly more selective towards intls as compared to out-of-staters, and definitely much less selective than the other prestigious private universities in the US. From experience, you would have a better chance applying to UCB's school of letters and science as opposed to the college of engg. You can always transfer between colleges once you get in.</p>

<p>Are you serious . . . . . NO sane international student would spend two years at community college. What's the point of going out of the country if you're going to waste two years receiving community college education? Since secondary education in most European and Asian countries is so much more rigorous than secondary education in the US, and much more rigorous than American community college education, community college would actually be detrimental to the majority of international students.</p>

<p>I'm pretty that almost every single international student came in as a freshman admit. Just look at how much of CC's student body is consisted of international students . . . almost none.</p>

<p>I agree with caiacs, most international students enter as freshmen. They are the "cream of the crop" in my S's freshman engineering classes at UC Berkeley. I suspect the applicant pools are highly competitive AND selective.</p>