UC last essay prompt

<p>The last essay prompt asks about anything they would be interested in knowing about me or my academic record that i haven't been able to talk about elsewhere in the app.</p>

<p>Is this where I put in my 'story-like' essay? Or do I really just straight-out tell them "Well, I had a bad term here, etc. My parents are divorced so I became more..."</p>

<p>What are they wanting?</p>

<p>I think anecdotes are good for all three essays, so that's what I did. It engages the reader more and makes them more interested in what you are writing about. For my last one I wrote about my parental situation, but made it intriguing. I didn't write blunt statments...it is still in essay format.</p>

<p>how creative can you be with these? All the UC prompts seem SO straight-forward...i feel odd trying to write something creative that shows who i am when the prompt asks a direct question.</p>

<p>I know what you mean...It is definitely a challenged to write three good ones. The 200 word ones are extremely hard because there aren't enough words to say anything substantial. I've heard admissions people read the 600 one first, and if they are still unsure about you they will read the next two. Definitely, focus on your 600 word one, don't worry too much about the other two.</p>

<p>Yeah, I agree, it's so hard to write an essay within 200 words, especially since i think words like 'a' and 'the' count</p>

<p>i go to a high school ranked top 5 in the nation and we have really good college counsellors who are experts at ucs. dont write story like essays. the uc essays should be completely different from your private school essays. this is because they just look for things to give you points for instead of writing style etc.</p>

<p>Correct, but you don't get points by writing bland statements like, "I'm a good leader, I work hard." You get points for intriguing the reader and letting them know what kind of person you are. The things they look to give you points for are things that are creative and unique; things that make you stand out from other applicants.</p>

<p>this last essay is for the UC system's end-run around the ban on affirmative action in California. The smart applicant will use this space to show how they are disadvantaged and their true potential exceeds their test scores, GPA, or explain away their paucity of ECs. However avoid victim talk (unless you're a member of a favored minority group).</p>