UC personal statement. guidance ?

<p>Growing up I lived in two parts of the world, giving me two entirely different experiences. I spent the school year in California with the radiating sun, and cool beaches. Then I spent winter, spring, and summer vacation in New York with the harsh winds and heavy downpour. The time I spent in California I lived in a small community, and went to a small school with a graduating class of about 473 students. Then every break, I went off to the Big Apple with lots of noise, and definitely more than 473 people. I always felt lucky that I grew up knowing two completely different ways of life, and I could pick which one I wanted for myself in the future. I could never really choose which coast I liked more. I used to tell myself California was more fun and easy going because of the beaches, and big sports teams; while New York was more culture because they had Broadway, and Fashion Week. I soon realized this was not so because both coasts just took a different approach to culture and life styles.
After my freshman year of high school I was off for summer vacation, I had already packed my bags for New York a week in advance so we were off to the airport. My mother asked me a question that I had to think long and hard about as we were crossing the terminal. She asked what I wanted to do after high school, at the time I was so over whelmed by that statement I froze up. I never gave her an answer until the end of that summer because I did not even know the answer. I spent that summer “soul searching” I guess, I tried to find all my favorite things about New York and why. I liked the fact that all around me there were large buildings, and people on their blackberry’s. It sounds strange to like that, but I did I did not see things like that where I was from in California. All those people with their blackberry’s heading towards those large buildings or small restaurants made it look like they had a sense of purpose, they were not just wandering around like I was. I liked how Time Square defined the entire city in one space, it made me want to have a single place that gave me a sense of who I was. I liked how they put an art gallery right next to a boutique, it showed me culture and enjoyment can mix together.
So at the end of the summer I was ready to give my mother an answer, I told her when high school was over I wanted to go somewhere that had both coasts put into one coast. Then I thought about it until we landed back in LAX, and I said a place with two coasts is a university and that is where I aspire to go. A university not only has both coasts but both sides of every country in the world. That is where I wanted to go, that summer is when I realized it was the right choice for me.</p>