UCSB Appeal Candidates

<p>Here are my stats</p>

<p>SAT’s-1310
Sat II-600, 600, 620(eco bio)
APs- 1(chem), 4(APES), Now takign Stat and Spanish Language
GPA- 3.2 unweighted, 3.5-2.6 weighted
Strong essay
tons of ECs(lots of sports, captain of soccer and volleyball, student gov, head of clubs)
Good recs.</p>

<p>What do you think my chances of are of getting in?</p>

<p>how do you appeal a UCSB decision…I’m very interested in that. Although it seems like most people would end up getting rejected again.</p>

<p>Is there anything different here than when you didn’t get in the first time?</p>

<p>montalvo349 did you apply anywhere else and get accepted?</p>

<p>sam3 what are your stats and did you apply anywhere else and get accepted as well?</p>

<p>1380 SAT (730 verbal, 650 math) 3.6 High School GPA, SAT II history-710, writing 590, math IC 650, many extra curricular activities, many AP/honors classes, 4 on the US hist AP and a 3 on English AP test, strong essays</p>

<p>I’ve gotten in to Cal Poly SLO, UCD, UCM, UCR. Rejected from UCLA. I haven’t heard from anyone else. This is a testament to make sure you do your hw during high school…being rejected from UCSB wouldn’t be an issue if I had done mine! lol</p>

<p>wow sam3 i’m really surprised u didnt get into ucsb with those stats… it should have been a safe match</p>

<p>I guess it was really impacted this year, my counselor said it was a safe match too.
So how do I go about apealing the decision?</p>

<p><a href=“Admissions | University of California”>Admissions | University of California;

<p>the ucsb appeal rate is pretty high</p>

<p>letter (new compelling info not stated in original app)
letters of recommendation (optional)
offical high school transcript (latest fall 2005 Semester grades)</p>

<p>they will notify u maybe b4 may 1, not a guarantee though</p>

<p>If they rejected you in the first place do you feel it’s necessary to kiss their butts and appeal? I guess it’s just a pride thing for me since I was rejected.</p>

<p>I guess they rejected your poli sci application too…</p>

<p>Montalvo:</p>

<p>Unless you’ve had a breakout senior year, an appeal is not likely to be well received. Unfortunately, a 3.2gpa is not a match at any of the top UC’s; there are just too many kids that have 4+'s</p>

<p>Sorry, Sam, but your GC is just flat out uninformed. Check out their stats - the top 85% of the admitted class had a gpa of 3.6+. Since the transcript is the number one thing adcoms review…high test scores and low just imply slacking…</p>

<p>fwiw: SB was one of the two ELC guarantees acceptance schools (Merced being the other), so it may have had to limit its acceptees.</p>

<p>true, in general there has been a rise in apps to most colleges across the board</p>

<p>bluebayou, what do you mean SB one of the two ELC guarantee schools?</p>

<p>For my highschool, all ELC were given UCI and a few UCR. No one I know got UCSB or UCM as their ELC school.
I believe all the UCs besides LA, Berkeley (and maybe SD… can’t remember) can be ELC schools… I remember reading that somewhere.</p>

<p>my two ELC schools were UC Irvine and UC Merced…I got a letter from both informing me of my status at those two schools…but I think xmisterpenguin might be right…</p>

<p>i called UCSD and asked for an appeal, but before they do that they will teach u how they grade ur application based on their rubric, and then they will tell u the cut off score for this year and then tell u ur score, and then ur gpa. and then u can go off from there</p>

<p>takes about 5-10 minutes</p>

<p>homiebo</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/local_eligibility.html[/url]”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/local_eligibility.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Catch the last line at the bottom of this link, which I trust is accurate:</p>

<p>“For falll 2005, ELC status guarantees admission at Merced and Santa Barbara.”</p>

<p>The other schools you mentioned, such as UCI, accept the ELC kids thru Comprehensive Review (it’s a big tip factor in CR), but those are not the guaranteed ELC slots. Since UCI is growing, it may well continue to accept all ELC candidates under Comp Review. However, my guess is that UC will rotate that guarantee around, such that UCI (or UCSC or UCR) could be one of the guarantee schools for class of '06, (along with Merced?).</p>

<p>Mr. Penguin:</p>

<p>if I were your friends, I’d have their GC call UCSB and ask them exactly what the above link means, particularly Merced “AND” Santa Barbara." (as opposed to “or”)</p>

<p>interesting, im elc and
i got a letter way before i applied from uci and merced that guaranteed me admission
but never anything from santa barbara
but i did get into all of them</p>

<p>No one I know got UCSB for their ELC. The site could be outdated. I’m sure that UCI was the guaranteed school for students in my area (Orange County… and we’re like 15 mns away from UCI).</p>

<p>the site could be outdated, but still worth a call from the GC, IMO. </p>

<p>But, I’m confident that UCI was definitely not one of the guaranteed schools…I met with one of their adcoms in Jan and she explained that “in recent years, we have accepted every elc applicant through our Comprehensive review process…”</p>

<p>i had the exact same thing as mtb…and nothing from UCSB…no one that I know of was notified by UCSB.</p>