I have been accepted to UIUC and UT Austin for undergraduate Computer Science major. I was also accepted into the Turing Scholars program at UT Austin.
I don’t live in either state, so both cost me about the same. Tuition is really not a factor in my decision.
I have been looking at different forums trying to find details about both the schools. From what I have gathered, both schools offer a comparable education. The only major difference between them seems to be the weather. Personally, though, I don’t care too much about what the weather is like.
- I assume that both schools attract top tech companies for internships. However, does one school give me an edge over the other? By that I mean, does one school offer better connections or prepares students’ better for jobs?
- Which school prepares me more/better for securing a development job at tech companies – hopefully, a company based in California.
- What are the types of people I will meet at each college? I am want to have some fun at college, but I also want an environment where students are focused on studies and “learning together.”
- I don’t want to be bookish in my knowledge of CS, so, I would prefer a college that promotes collaborative projects that will allow me practice my skills and look decent on the resume. Both schools likely promote collaboration, so what I want to know about the types of projects and the types of students that work on these projects ?
- What are the classes like at each school?
If I want to balance theory with practical, which school’s classes will help me do that best.
- If you have been at either of these schools, could you share just snippets of your experience that can help me understand life at the school?