My D21 has been admitted to a few EA schools and one school she is seriously considering is UMass Amherst (we are in state) and the school has so many positives. But also wondering a few questions for any parents or students who are currently attending.
- Is getting the classes you want a problem as a freshman (or any year)?
- Is the campus manageable for walking or do you need to take the shuttle bus daily, and if so how reliable is that shuttle bus/is it a hassle or not, esp in winter months?
- Daughter is not in the party type crowd but still I’m sure will be eager to make friends, be social, and go out and have fun not centered around alcohol/pot. She will be a science major. Is Northeast dorms a good option for that fit, or should she consider other dorms as well. Which ones? (She was not offered Honors.)
- Many students seem to say the school feels smaller once you find your own community. True? Is the size overwhelming?
- Does the class sizes seem too large? How are the discussion groups led by TAs? Are they helpful? Is there good coordination between the TA and professors?
Ok, sorry so many mom questions! Any feedback is appreciated!