UMass Amherst Student & "Friends Club" - Asked to Withdraw

<p>

</p>

<p>The student "said in a letter posted on his Facebook page, which he says he sent to the dean, that after undergoing a "psychological analysis," he was asked to withdraw. He is no longer enrolled at the university."</p>

<p>Read more: Student's</a> letter causes stir at UMass | Inside Higher Ed</p>

<p>Apparently there was some concern that he was going to do something harmful to people who joined his "club meeting," though there is no indication in the letter or elsewhere that those were his plans.</p>

<p>What do you think? Did UMass overreact? Did this young man simply behave in an abnormally social way, but not potentially dangerous manner?</p>

<p>Why does this remind me of an incident at Williams, I think before the Obama administration and Facebook, that may have had racial overtones?</p>

<p>Shouldn't this be in the parent's forum?</p>

<p>Hi Parent - I did post it in the Parents Forum...I think? Sorry, I am confused by your last line. </p>

<p>I don't recall anything about the Williams incident you speak of however.</p>

<p>I think the OP is leaving out important information. From the linked article, it says that, </p>

<p>*He signed it, "Remember that I love you, Tyler Molander.</p>

<p>"Please don't come if you are acquainted with me, I apologize, but just trust me."*</p>

<p>I can completely understand if that set off some alarms.</p>

<p>It's a tough period of time in which to be a weird person.</p>

<p>It is hard to comment, not having the results of the psych eval., but I suspect there is more to this story than the text of the letter.</p>