Umpire Blows the No Hitter

<p>agree with B and P . . . and . . .</p>

<p>human systems = human errors = part of the game</p>

<p>Well, kei, yes and no. Most sports have added some form of instant replay, because though getting it wrong may be part of human reality, figuring out how to get it right is, too. Even baseball has it for home runs now. I wouldn't want to make it routine, and certainly not balls and strikes. But possibly one challenge per game, for safe/out, caught/trapped, etc calls could be workable without threatening the integrity of the game.</p>

<p>^^^^^^</p>

<p>I'd do ball and strikes too just limit challenges like tennis is doing (they have umpires too). Thus, if a ball is called in/out in tennis the player has limited challenges. We have the technology, time to use it. Remember when Fox used to show the overhead view directly over the plate? That lasted until the umpire union complained about it and had it removed. They were tired of being embarrassed by the video replays.</p>

<p>Before someone posts that baseball is slow enough as it is ... if baseball wanted to seriously improve the speed of the game, don't let pitchers do the waiting game and don't let batters routinely step out of the batter's box.</p>

<p>^^^^^</p>

<p>Yes, including a replay/challenge component would help to reduce human error</p>

<p>No, automating balls and strikes goes too far; there is no significant problem with a human calling balls and strikes </p>

<p>Learning to live with the fact of human error is part of the fabric of baseball . . . Especially given the topic of CC - college admissions - learning how to respond to the fact that "life is not fair" is a crucial life skill. Notice how many people's comments are directed negatively at the umpire, as if making a mistake is somehow akin to a sin. As Deming taught, every human system has errors in it. Blaming the individual who commits those inevitable errors seems peculiarly American: we prefer to believe that individuals are completely responsible for their actions, and are loath to admit that the primary reason the ump made the bad call is that baseball's umpiring system depends upon fallible humans. As the Other Elvis said . . Accidents Will Happen.</p>

<p>Best baseball call story from Ur-Umpire Bill Klem's autobiography: close call at second base, with runner sliding in. Klem the Ump yells "SAFE" but gestures decisively, thrusting his right arm into the air, thumb pointing to the heavens. The fielder and runner both stare at him dumbstruck by the conflicting information. Finally the runner asks, "well which is it, safe or out?"' Klem considers for a moment, then speaks: "You two are the only ones who heard me call you safe; but all those fans saw me signal out. So you're OUT."</p>

<p>Haven't been to the Hall of Fame yet; when I go I will spend much time at Bill Klem's exhibit.</p>

<p>This could be the tipping point for Instant Replay in MLB.
Limit challenges , extra ump on video.
Booth review in 9th inning and extra innings.
You could even have limited challenges with balls and strikes with the technology used in tennis.
Would not have to slow game down , and could even speed things up and eliminate the arguing.
Technology has changed everything , why is baseball still stuck in a time warp.</p>

<p>Slow play is caused by dawdling players, poor pitching and endless commercials.</p>

<p>Cute story Kei.</p>

<p>I don't believe anyone is arguing automation of balls and strikes (though I will argue that an ump who can't maintain a consistent strike zone, whatever his is, shouldn't continue to ump.) (Edit--okay, last post did.)</p>

<p>I don't believe that getting home runs right has damaged the integrity of baseball, nor has the challenge/replay system turned football or hockey into drone-filled robotics.</p>

<p>I don't think it says something about "Americans." In fact, I bet there are more than a few Irish soccer fans who'd have appreciated an accurate call on the hand ball that cost them a shot at the World Cup.</p>

<p>People are well aware of the fact that the umpire made a mistake and no one is claiming that he sinned and blew the call on purpose. But that doesn't change the fact that he blew the call. Blaming him for blowing the call is not some peculiarly American psychological reaction, it is the reality of the situation. </p>

<p>Yes, we all live with the fact that human error is part of the fabric of baseball and yes "life is not fair" is a crucial life skill, but that doesn't mean that we don't try to right a wrong when we see one. Baseball can right this wrong and give the pitcher his earned perfect game. I don't think that is asking for too much.</p>

<p>Such a bummer, but agree with how the pitcher has been so classy. I don't know why the umps didn't convene to talk about it. Ds1 is an ump for Pony League games, and even he's been taught to ask for/offer help when there's controversy. I do hope they'll find a way to get this reversed, even an asterisk.</p>

<p>Hadn't thought about the role of drug testing in the no-hitters.</p>

<p>blankmind said: "Blaming him for blowing the call is not some peculiarly American psychological reaction, it is the reality of the situation."</p>

<p>It is you who is missing the reality of the situation; blaming the umpire misses the underlying cause of the mistake; I'll try to break it down for you</p>

<p>1- the system has humans making decisions
2- it is absolutely INEVITABLE that humans will make mistakes
3- those mistakes will be distributed throughout the games randomly
4 - there is NO WAY that you can EVER make human umpiring mistake-proof
5- in case you missed it: mistakes will ALWAYS happen in a system that depend upon humans
6- OF COURSE the ump blew the call; that is exactly my point: umpires are human and will always make mistakes</p>

<p>The peculiarly American thing - that you are perpetuating - is to pretend that the system itself does not contribute at all to the propensity toward mistakes</p>

<p>This ump was just a random contributor to mistakes in the system; THAT is the reality . . although I guess if umps were perfect that woudl fix the problem, right?</p>

<p>That's like blaming American workers for the fact that Japanese cars were of better quality than American cars in the 80s; the manufacturing SYSTEM used in American to make cars then was inferior to the manufacturing SYSTEM used in Japan</p>

<p>P.S. I loved Galaragga's ironic quote about the ump:'Well, nobody's perfect."</p>

<p>According to ESPN, Bud Selig is considering a review and possiblity of reversal of call. I hope it happens.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The peculiarly American thing - that you are perpetuating - is to pretend that the system itself does not contribute at all to the propensity toward mistakes

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Ok, then...I am peculiarly American. No system is perfect (notice here how I am not pretending that any system is perfect?), but we strive to make them the best we can. We do this by taking responsibility for our mistakes and fixing them rather than blaming the system. Well, at least some of us do.</p>

<p>Gloworm, I also really hope that happens. Even Whoopi Goldberg opened the View this morning about how terrible this is.</p>

<p>Frank Deford, writing for Sports Illustrated:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Baseball uses replays only in very limited circumstances, because it is stupid. But that's another issue. The point is, we have replays even if baseball wants to play ostrich, and they prove conclusively: Galarraga got the 27th guy out at first base. The game was over. He had a perfect game.</p>

<p>Just as simple is what Commissioner Bud Selig should do: employ that fiat that comes with his position -- "for the good of the game" -- overrule the umpire, and give Galarraga what we all already know he has: a perfect game.</p>

<p>This is the one extraordinary case in all baseball history. If Selig simply says the game ends with the 27th batter out at first base *<em>-- which he was -- nothing else is affected. If it had been the 25th batter or the 26th, no, you couldn't do it. If there was any doubt at all about the call at first base, no, you couldn't do it. If anybody -- the umpire, the batter, Ebeneezer Scrooge *</em>-- if anybody in the world disputed it, no, you couldn't do it.</p>

<p>But there is no problem. Giving Galarraga his perfect game is the right thing to do, and it has no adverse affect, nor any affect on history. It's called a gimme, Mr. Commissioner.</p>

<p>There are even analogies. In simple individual sports, like track, when it has been determined, after the fact, that the winner was on drugs, he has simply been lifted out of the race. Justice was done.</p>

<p>Commissioner Selig can give us justice here. He can make everybody happy and hurt no one. For the good of the game. For the good of justice.</p>

<p>Wouldn't that be nice?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Read More: For</a> good of the game, Bud Selig needs to reverse ump's blown call - Frank Deford - SI.com </p>

<p>Great column. I have much respect for Deford (though he did spell "effect" wrong.:))</p>

<p>garland, that's why God invented copyeditors. As the pitcher said, no one's perfect. ;)</p>

<p>blankmind said: "We do this by taking responsibility for our mistakes and fixing them rather than blaming the system."</p>

<p>I LOVE reductionist either/or oversimplifications; they reveal the workings of a mind incapable of considering two seemingly opposing thoughts at on time.</p>

<p>If the root cause comes from the system, you can choose to ignore that (your course?) and label anyone who says that the system contributes to the problems as just "blaming the system". Alternatively, you can recognize that the system - to the extent it relies on humans - always produces human error - and realize that umps will always make mistakes.</p>

<p>You seem to be of the first persuasion: since the ump erred the cure is for the umps not to make errors in the future? </p>

<p>To my mind it's stupid to pretend that the system doesn't contribute error . . . which is why some limited replay might help.</p>

<p>So, do you want to do something to change the system . . . and , if so, isn't that "blaming the system?"</p>

<p>You know, kei, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I. But at least I state my opinions without being insulting.</p>

<p>The replay shows the call was really not even that close. I not only feel badly for Galarraga but for his teammates, coaches and fans. I just saw the replay of the play in the outfield by Jackson I think in the top of the ninth-unbelievable play that saved the possibility of a perfect game. The shortstop essentially says he knows he played in a perfect game,etc. It truly was a team effort and I'm sure they are all hurting. I really hope the call is reversed. I think a reversal would help the umpire as well. I'm sure he will be haunted by this if it isn't.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Blaming the individual who commits those inevitable errors seems peculiarly American

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Not at all. What's peculiar about Americans is that they're usually eager to dismiss the mistake as unimportant and simply part of the game. The initial AP report merely said that it "seemed" incorrect. Yahoo labelled it "controversial," and even now Wikipedia editors are arguing over whether "controversial" should be replaced with a stronger word (which is a strange debate, as there is no controversy over whether the call was correct). And usually in situations similar to these, the "impartial" view stands. </p>

<p>In other countries, referees are routinely blasted for their mistakes, when it's clear that it has a strong impact on the game. Newspapers give their view of the facts, and fans photoshop seeing-eye</a> dogs. The most peculiar thing about American fans is that they are typically willing to ignore those mistakes and pretend they have no impact. Human errors are part of the game. Life is unfair.</p>

<p>That's what makes this case so interesting - the peculiarly un-American reaction.</p>

<p>Thiscouldbe--well put. I think you're on to something. "Life is unfair--get over it" at times feels like our national mantra, to much heartache. It is truly rewarding to see such a generous reaction in this instance.</p>

<p>On our local AM station this morning, they replayed a big section of an interview someone had with the ump right after the game, after he'd requested and seen the replay. </p>

<p>He made a mistake, but was one of the most class act responses I've heard from someone with so much power.... in a LONG time.</p>