Umpire Blows the No Hitter

<p>Anyone see this? Umpire cost Detroit pitcher a no hitter with a bad call , with 2 outs in the 9th.
WOW!!!</p>

<p>. . . okay, I've got to admit that wasn't the first thing I thought of when I saw "blows."</p>

<p>That call was awful. I feel gutted for Armando Galarraga. I wish the MLB could just call it a perfect game.</p>

<p>Hey, the pine tar decision was overturned. Why not this?</p>

<p>That was truely disgusting. I'm from Detroit and I found myself nearly in tears of rage after witnessing that call. I'm losing faith in umpires.</p>

<p>Not only a no hitter , it would have been a perfect game!!</p>

<p>Umpire should resign..</p>

<p>On the flip side - what is going on? That basically was the 3rd perfect game of the season, 2nd in the past week!</p>

<p>The play wasn't even close. How can that pitcher be robbed that way? Arrrgh.</p>

<p>SLightManifesto: have to agree with you , quite the anomaly.18 perfect games in the history of major league baseball , and now 3 this season ( if you count this as a 28 out perfect game.</p>

<p>The call was completely outrageous - I have no connection to either the Detroit Tigers or Armando Galarraga, and I was nearly in tears of frustration afterward. Utterly appalling.</p>

<p><a href="http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/369643/DSC_0037.JPG%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/369643/DSC_0037.JPG&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The sad thing is they probably won't fix it.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Maybe the advent of dope testing is adversely affecting the hitters more than the pitchers.</p>

<p>It was Galarraga's first complete game in the majors--what a great story, if only it had the right ending.</p>

<p>Galarraga has displayed such grace. Every youth baseball player and parent should take heed.
I do wish the Commissioner would do something though. Reverse the call and at least have the record books reflect the truth.</p>

<p>I agree with you electron. He was an inspiration to everyone out there on how to handle a dream crushing blow. Not only by what he said publicly, but he also forgave the Umpire when he realized he made the wrong call.</p>

<p>I give the ump some credit for his actions too. He immediately came out and said he made a bad call. He didn't come up with a BS defense of it was a split second decision and yadda yadda yadda.</p>

<p>Come on, Bud, do right by the kid!</p>

<p>I'd like to see them find a way to reverse it, too. What a disgrace.</p>

<p>I was also speculating about the weirdness of three in one month, too. And anecdotally, there seem to be a lot of shutouts, including 1-0 ones.</p>

<p>I wasn't listening closely enough to our local morning news just now, but it seems there is an online petition one can sign regarding reversal of the call.</p>

<p>I live in the Detroit metro area. I was flipping back and forth between the Tiger/Indians and the Flyers/Blackhawks, until the top of the 7th when I stayed with the baseball game. You could just see/feel that something special was going on. Galarraga had an amazing number of first pitch strikes, putting each batter in a hole. His off-speed pitches were moving and his fastball was cracking at 95 mph all night.</p>

<p>What a hearbreaker! To everyone's credit, those on the scene, including the Tigers' players and manager and the umpire himself, handled it with class.</p>

<p>BTW - the time of the game was 1:46. That is the way baseball should be played. The Indian's pitcher threw a good game as well. This was a classic pitcher's duel.</p>

<p>What's most disappointing is the 'support' (or lack thereof) from the other umpires. Specifically, why didn't one of the umpire crew take the ump that made the bad call aside and say 'dude, you blew that call' you need to reverse it. Referees in basketball do this all the time. Instead these umps act like a bunch of black sheep. </p>

<p>The umps usually bend over backwards to give someone with a no-hitter/perfect game the benefit of a lot of close calls. Some were pretty questionable. But to rob the guy like this. Just awful.</p>