Unfair Advantages

<p>Hello. I'm a new poster here.
I am planning on attending Wash U next fall, that is if I am admitted - which brings me to my question.</p>

<p>I have been reading around on this sub-forum, and many others on this site and I notice, mainly on the "do you think I can get in to (insert university name here)", that the majority of people seem to be enrolled at private high schools where they have the option of taking a full schedule of AP classes and have more EC options than could possibly be taken advantage of. This, I feel, may lead admissions staff to have a bias against the less fortunate students, like myself, that attend small, public high schools with no weighted GPA's, no AP/IB classes, and hardly any EC's.</p>

<p>What I am asking is if you all think that the admissions staff at WUSTL, or any university really, would take in to account the situation of an underprivileged student like I have described?</p>

<p>Thanks :D</p>

<p>No question about it. Most, if not all, admission departments will take into consideration the facilities that you have available. That means, you should sign up for the most challenging program that you possibly can at your high school. Obviously that also means doing well with that program. That being said, standard tests do also play a roll in helping to establish the potential level of the program at your high school. This is also where teachers recommendations have the potential to complete a very important piece of the puzzle. Also remember that ECs along with leadership roles and community service play an important role in defining who you are. So attending a small public high school will not necessarily be a negative for a student</p>

<p>Did you mean to say you'll be applying next fall or attending? BTW, my son, who will be attending next fall, is about to graduate from a public school. So, it's not just private school kids there.</p>

<p>Make use of other resources. Take classes at community colleges, or even online classes.</p>

<p>It means that I will be applying this fall for admission in the fall of 2011.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info, I am very glad to find that admissions personnel aren't quite so naive as I had feared.</p>

<p>I am currently taking advantage of every resource available to me, which are mostly dual-enrollment classes. </p>

<p>Just for fun:</p>

<p>GPA - 4.0 (cumulative)
Rank - 1 out of 48 :D
ACT - 32</p>

<p>EC's -
9th - FCCLA
10th - Math and Science Society
11th - NHS, Quiz Bowl (1st place all-district :D), Philosophy Club
12th (to be) - NHS, Quiz Bowl (captain), Philosophy club, Class President, Student Council Vice President, and I am considering starting a "volunteer club"</p>

<p>I have 19 hours of dual-enrollment credit built up and have regularly been taking the hardest classes offered.</p>

<p>I haven't done any volunteer work because there are very few, if any, opportunities (My town has about 1500 people, as do all other towns for about a 40 mile radius.)</p>

<p>I am currently employed at the local DQ >.></p>

<p>What do you think my chances are for getting in?</p>

<p>I am a Missouri resident, as well, if that has any impact.</p>

<p>Thanks :D</p>

<p>Any other suggestions for things I could be doing to increase my chances?</p>

<p>My D will be a senior at WashU this fall. She also came from a very mediocre public high school (the only one in our town) - offered 2 AP courses (one of which is so bad she didn't take it). She did not have the opportunity to take any cc or college classes during high school. She was the only NMF from her graduating class, had ACT/SAT in the 99%tile, played an instrument, played a sport, joined clubs, had leadership positions in some of those clubs, etc. She also volunteered, but they were activities she thought of and acted on. She played her instrument at a local assisted care facility, raised several thousand dollars for a national group that supports a certain illness, etc.</p>

<p>Volunteer opportunities can be created anywhere. Do you have a nursing home in your town where you could volunteer? Even homebound elderly you could help? Homebound disabled you could assist with tasks? A community park in bad shape that you could revitalize? A food pantry that needs restocked that you could lead a drive for? Just trash pick up/clean up of the downtown area - weed pulling, etc. I think the volunteer club idea is great. Gives you another leadership position and volunteer hours. Helping out your small town and those who live there sounds a lot more impressive to me that joining some already created volunteer opportunity.</p>

<p>Lots of colleges offer online courses. While Wasg U doesn't give credit for them, it shows initiative.</p>

<p>
[quote]
This, I feel, may lead admissions staff to have a bias against the less fortunate students, like myself, that attend small, public high schools with no weighted GPA's, no AP/IB classes, and hardly any EC's.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>They definitely do consider your application in the context of your school, and you are mostly expected to take advantage of the most rigorous courseload and other opportunities available to you.</p>

<p>It's called affirmative action. Yes, it does apply to more than just race.</p>