University of Maryland (UMD) Early Action Class of 2030 Official Thread

Also, do we need to put down housing deposit? UMD was a reach for her so we did not do a ton of research on the school, as we were truly expecting a rejection. I am now totally discombobulated regarding what to do next. Lol.

1 Like

D admitted, OOS bioengineering (3.9 UW, 1520, etc.) Congratulations to all admitted! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

A housing deposit will be required. You should get some info on that soon. You should probably google :UMD (and the specific engineering field you son wants) My D’s husband got a degree in Chemical Engineering at UMD and he is doing Very well

It means they are admitted under their Freshman Connection program. If they have their heart set on UMD, it’s an excellent option. They move into dorms, like everyone else, in the fall. They take classes like regular admits, although the class times are later in the day and solely for FC students. They are welcome to join any clubs (although sometimes later class times can conflict). The downside is the late day classes, but the upside is usually smaller, more intimate class sizes, which apparently many FC students like. Supposedly it’s a great way to meet people.

In the spring, they are in exactly the same position as fall admits. My older son is at UMD, and he has a couple of friends who were in Freshman Connection. As far as fall admit students are concerned, everyone on campus considers FC students to be like any other students. In other words, no one thinks about it or cares, lol, so there’s no stigma. It’s just another UMD program. My younger son was admitted for spring and very happy about it, but he ended up going to another school that he felt was a better fit for him.

Are you on this page? https://www.facebook.com/groups/344046323797688/ If not, I highly recommend you join. There are tons of parents on there whose Terps were part of the spring admit program, and they’d be happy to provide more insight. Good luck!

1 Like

Yes, it’s really concerning. My son is a junior in CS. Internships are brutal to find all over. Coding will likely always be needed, but it does seem like AI will have a particular impact on that specific field. My son is very much interested in Data Science, so he enjoys those classes. He’s also minoring in Computational Finance and taking classes in machine learning and AI. Its scary out there for the field, but hopefully things will settle and new opportunities will emerge.

2 Likes

Hi I am also looking for info on Admitted students day. How do I find out more info about it?

Thanks to the UMD AOs who worked through a very difficult week to get these results out. There was a lot of anxiety on line about whether decisions would still be out this week.

3 Likes

Hi I got rejected in state 3.9 UW 1470 SAT, really good essay. I am really crushed as UMD was my top choice and was thinking to submit an appeal as I did have some extenuating circumstances. I was wondering if anyone has ever submitted an appeal and how it would work, and if its even worth it for me. BTW the major I chose was psychology which is quite competitive, I wonder if that had an effect.

4 Likes

It looks like the current Admitted Student Day links are the ones from last year. The new links should be available soon.. Keep checking

Admitted OOS (Government & Politics) Honors college 4.0w 4.5 uw 1560 SAT. Good ECs, leadership, recs and community service.

2 Likes

Congratulations!! Take a night to celebrate. Our kids are going to a great school. I watched the pics online with the kids sledding, snowboarding and having snowball fights this week and I so wanted my daughter to go there.

1 Like

My daughter was admitted to the scholars govt and politics. Similar stats. Varsity golf, worked on political campaigns, Girl Scouts gold award, … It sounds amazing.

3 Likes

My daughter applied and had everything submitted prior to 11/1, but we have no decision as of yet. Anyone know what’s going on? Has anyone else experienced this? We’ve been checking her portal all afternoon and it’s never changed from how it read prior to today. Everything is marked as complete, but there’s no decision!

Are there more decisions to come over the weekend? The FB post the Admissions team posted prior to today’s said kids would hear by 2/1, the original date, and that they’d receive an email telling them their decision was posted. My daughter has no email.

Call UMD Admissions on Monday. It could just be a mistake. One thing that I have seen in the past is that the student mentioned taking a course somewhere outside of their High School. UMD expects to get a Transcript for that course.

1 Like

Does the portal show her application as complete. If so, call the Admissions office on Monday. It could just be a mistake.

1 Like

Yes, portal has shown her application as “Complete” since we originally signed up for the portal and got her ID. Everything is dated and was submitted prior to 11/1. No requests for additional information. I saw someone else posted this to UMD’s FB post about decisions coming out today and two other people seem to be in the same boat. I did submit a Support ticket on the portal. You think we should call as well on Monday or will the support ticket suffice?

Did everyone get the scholars thing? We aren’t sure what that is. We are in state and daughter isn’t especially excited to go there but wants to give it as much of a look as anywhere else. Hopefully we can attend a accepted students day.

I recommend calling. It can’t hurt.

1 Like

@STEMX - Will there be additional admitted student days added this year? What about CMNS sessions? Some of the students I assisted were unable to secure dates last year.