University of Michigan Engineering Culture and Quality of Life

Hey everyone,

I’m a high school senior currently deciding between Auburn University and University of Michigan for aerospace engineering.

I’ve visited, and really enjoyed everything I’ve seen in Auburn: the campus, the community, and the overall environment feel like a great fit. That said, Michigan stands out for its top-tier engineering program, research opportunities, and strong industry connections.

My main question is about the trade-off between quality of life and opportunity. I know Michigan engineering has a reputation for being rigorous, and I’m wondering how that actually plays out day-to-day.

For those who have any insight:

  • What does a typical week look like at UMich?

  • Is the workload manageable while still having a social life?

  • Does the stress feel worth it given the opportunities (research, internships, recruiting)?

I’m trying to figure out whether the added rigor at Michigan is justified by the long-term advantages, or if a school like Auburn offers a better overall balance.

Appreciate any insight—thanks in advance!

I’m not saying not to choose Michigan - but what makes you assume that Auburn doesn’t have research opportunities or industry connections?

Auburn shows that over 20% of engineering students participated in research. Most kids (like my son) have no interest, so it’s likely a fine #. I’d say at many schools, if you want to do research, you can.

And they show for 24 grads (including 23 fall), that the average salary was near $77K with 47 reporting. I don’t know how many grads that was so I don’t know the “knowledge” rate. They showed a similar salary range for Mechanical - which is often substitutional to aero.

U Mich shows a $94K average for MechE (no quantity listed) and near $84K for Mechanical.

I think at most places, like the major aero my son works at, they’d recruit at W Michigan and Michigan - and they will pay the same. My low ranked college son from an SEC school found out he was making more than a Columbia grad at a neighboring company.

But the reported data - and I don’t know what % of grads reported - show UM much higher. Of course, their tuition is much higher too - and goes up the last two years.

But back to your question on tradeoffs - that you’d lose research opportunities and strong industry connections - I don’t think that’s a truth.

I also think this is an unknown - rank doesn’t = rigor. My Alabama kid got into Purdue (didn’t apply to UM due to cost) - and got his a$$ kicked. This is engineering -

  1. don’t conflate rank with rigor

  2. assume no matter where you attend academically is going to be rigorous - or as my son said, it’s math, math, and more math.

You’re making a lot of assumptions - and my guess is none of them are true.

Might you have a better experience overall at UMich or make more money coming out - sure.

But will rigor be more? Unknown. Will you lose research and/or industry connections being at Auburn - guessing not. They will have plenty of enrichment (speakers, projects, etc.) at both - should you choose to participate.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.