University of Phoenix vs. UT Austin

<p>Hi,
I'm planning on transferring out of cc for next fall and need advice as to which school would be a better fit for me-- U of P or UT Austin? I live in texas so i'd be paying instate but after talking to an admissions officer at U of P, they said it would be cheaper to go to their school with student loans and that their programs are on par with Austin's. I also believe it's more highly ranked than Austin (#16 i think?) on some list of the best bachelor's program for for-profit schools. If anyone has any experience with either college, can you tell me the pros and cons of your college? thanx</p>

<p>Beware. The "University" of Phoenix is a for-profit institution that has been sued for luring college students into taking their really expensive classes and not being forthcoming with how much their tuition is. </p>

<p>Comparing a public university, especially one as prestigious at UT, to any for-profit college is apples and oranges.</p>

<p>Google "University of Phoenix scam" and you will get many hits.
Here's one example:University</a> of Phoenix</p>

<p>Choose any place BUT Univ. of Phoenix. No one will take your degree seriously.</p>

<p>I hope you are kidding.. If not, I have some investment property in Kabul for 10 dollars..</p>

<p>University of Pheonix is not in ANY way shape or form comparable to the University of Texas. Trust me. UT is where it's at.</p>

<p>The University of Phoenix will give you a degree and UT will give you an education and a degree</p>

<p>Any school with Texas in their name is a better choice. Any for profit profit school is one which knows how they can get you loans that you can't repay.</p>

<p>I really hope you're joking. Have you even been accepted into UT?</p>

<p>I'm having a very hard time believing that someone smart enough to get accepted into such a prestigious school like UT would actually bring up such a ridiculous comparison.</p>

<p>If you have to ask whether to go the U of Phoenix or UT-Austin, you should go to U of Phoenix. </p>

<p>Better yet, go to the bathroom, tear off a piece of toilet paper and hang it on the wall where you would put your college diploma.</p>

<p>LOL! Best troll thread ever. Well played sir.</p>

<p>wow you guys, that was somewhat harsh. But do you any of you actually know what U of P is like firsthand? Sure, i saw negative reviews as well as positive and the same goes for UT. btw U of P is much larger and more successful than UT and many people have said that where you go for undergrad doesn't matter. </p>

<p>Also, why is it that more people know of U of P than UT? I know a lot of people who have heard of Phoenix but not Austin. Logically, the more famous the school the better it is. Unfortunately, i doubt i will be receiving any aid from UT so unless someone knows of a good transfer scholarship i could get, i'm afraid U of P is the better option.</p>

<p>can anyone help me?</p>

<p>People know of U of P because it is a national community college. Anyone can get in as long as they can get a student loan.</p>

<p>I'm going to assume that your question is legitimate and therefore deserves a legitimate answer. I am a retired physician and college professor, and I will confess this with regard to potential bias: I taught at UT Austin for ten years. Regardless, I think you should know that the University of Texas at Austin has an international reputation for excellence, and a degree from there would be well respected nearly anywhere in the world. The University of Phoenix is, essentially, an organization run for profit that does not offer anything near the quality of education or the prestige of UT Austin. They are very good at helping prospective students get financial aid in the form of loans, loans that in many cases students will have difficulty re-paying. You are misinformed as to the relative prestige and merits of the two institutions. One has a secure and well-earned reputation for excellence; the other is basically a for-profit correspondence school. If you can't continue your studies at UT Austin you would be better off at any state college in Texas than you would be with the University of Phoenix. If you continue to state anything to the contrary, then you must be, as others have suggested, a troll.</p>

<p>past post history would suggest that he/she is not a troll, just very misinformed</p>

<p>Oh and thank you for your contribution Irishdoctor. You speak for a vastly underrepresented age group here on the forums and your advice is warmly welcomed.</p>

<p>Thank you for your kind comments. I'm sorry about that last sentence in my post. As my father always told me, 'a gentleman is never unintentionally rude'. I'm afraid that I was unintentionally rude.</p>

<p>Assuming that this is a legitimate poster:
If you can't afford UT right now, your best option is living at home and going to community college for two years. Community college is much less expensive than UT. Financial aid is also available at community college. You can then transfer to a 4 year school. Then you would be facing only two years of loans for university.
Talk with your high school advisors about University of Phoenix.</p>

<p>The topicstarter is already at community college. :-)</p>

<p>I don't know the reason why he believes he will not get any finaid at UT but if you really want something you'll find a way to get it.</p>

<p>There are 2 options:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Third party scholarships for UT, for example The Haraldson Foundation scholarship (check if transfers qualify). There are other scholarships. Tons of them.</p></li>
<li><p>Find a cheaper college option with better chances for finaid, for example A&M <a href="https://financialaid.tamu.edu/Types/aggie_assurance.aspx%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://financialaid.tamu.edu/Types/aggie_assurance.aspx&lt;/a>
$60,000 and you are covered. :-)</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Then he/she should talk with the counselors at the CC. No doubt their advice would be to attend a state school rather than a for-profit school</p>

<p>Wow, just wow!</p>