Hi i’m from New York and really like the University of Richmond. I plan to major in business, more specifically finance and accounting. I really love the University of Richmond, but want to make the smart decision. At the end of 4 years I would owe 60,000 for the University of Richmond. At the end of 4 years I would owe from 9,000 to 16,000 for the University of Alabama depending on how much I spend on frats or other extra things. I’m not sure if the Honors College at Alabama will give me the same connections and post job opportunities that the University of Richmond would. I would really appreciate any thoughts.
If you major in accounting go to Alabama. Richmond isn’t worth being in the hole 60,000.
I’m a fan of UR but that is too much debt. Also keep in mind that to get a CPA you need 150 credits now so many go on for a fifth year MS in Accounting to meet that requirement.
They are 2 very different campuses. Have you visited them both? UR is gorgeous but small located around Richmond’s west end. UA is a beautiful public university, but huge in comparison to UR.
In terms of programs, are you aware of how highly regarded Bama’s accounting program is? The Public Accounting Report has it ranked 8th in the country https://gbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Public-Accounting-Report-DLC-Aug-2014.pdf and this report has it ranked 14th http://www.accounting-degree.org/rankings/best-accounting-schools/
My ds attends UA and absolutely loves it. We used to live near UR and I think the campus is beautiful, but I personally wouldn’t go into debt for it.
I vote Richmond.
I have 2 students at UR and we all love it, but if the extra cost is too much for you and your family, you can’t go wrong with a degree from UA, an awesome public U. The 2 schools are very different, have you visited both and looked at both accounting programs carefully?
OP @PotentialStudent97 where did you decide to go, and what were the significant factor/reasons?