<p>Which has the better reputation (for humanities)? Which would you choose and why? </p>
<p>If you want to live/work in Canada or North America, Toronto.</p>
<p>If you want to live/work in the United Kingdom or somewhere very closely connected to it (but not to Canada), St. Andrews.</p>
<p>If you want to work internationally, UToronto has a better global reputation (#20) according to the Times while St. Andrews isn’t top 100. But it all depends on how you intend to use that degree- if you’re not sure, just go to the place where you think you’ll be a better fit.</p>
<p>St. Andrews is always listed in the top 5 for British unis, usually right below Oxbridge. They would both have VERY different atmospheres - Toronto is urban, HUGE, and a research uni, whereas St. Andrews is in a smaller town, much smaller, and is similar in terms of eduction as the liberal arts college system in the US (all Scottish unis are). I always was under the impression that Toronto was better for research and STEM, and St. Andrews was better for humanities, but I could be wrong.</p>
<p>EDIT: Personally, as a future English and history double major, I would choose St. Andrews - I love St. Andrews the town, I want an experience like that of an LAC, and I’m Scottish ^.^</p>
<p>ANOTHER EDIT: Also, I just looked at the humanities and arts rankings that Times published - St. Andrews is 37 and Toronto is 12. Both are great, though.</p>
<p>Thank you dividerofzero, that is definitely good advice! And thank you LAMuniv, I think I agree! Thanks so much for your help
</p>
<p>@LAMuniv “St. Andrews is always listed in the top 5 for British unis, usually right below Oxbridge.”</p>
<p>Meh… depends who you ask. St Andrews seems to get a prestige boost in the US (perhaps because it’s so open to Americans), but in the UK, I think it would be somewhere around tenth. Behind Oxbridge would be Imperial, UCL, KCL, LSE, Edinburgh, maybe Durham and Bristol.</p>