Hi, I’m currently a Junior in High School. I was wondering if College Confidential could chance me for UT Austin Computer Science? UT Austin is my main target, so I’m really aiming to receive an acceptance letter.
I attend a nationally-known challenging High School, and I’m currently in the top 17% of my class. I’m also a Texas resident and citizen of the United States.
I’m currently studying for an International Baccalaureate Diploma. In 9th and 10th grade I had many Honors Classes and 1 or 2 AP classes (my school didn’t provide many AP classes then, but I still did the most challenging courses possible in my 9th and 10th grade year), but then in 11th and 12th grade I’m taking the hardest classes possible with all of my classes being AP and IB courses.
I have a 4.17 GPA Weighted, and my first SAT score was a 1360/1600 with a 18/24 essay. (I will be re-taking the SAT 3 more times). I haven’t taken any ACT exams, yet. My goal is a 1450/1600 with a 20/24 essay for my SAT.
I want to study Computer Science, but I won’t be applying for the Turing’s Scholars program (since I already know my chances are very low).
I’m a major computer fanatic; I’ve been programming since age 11.
I program/work with:
Java SE & EE
C# and C++
Actionscript 2.0 & 3.0
Object Oriented Programming and Algorithms
I have a Linkedin account that highlights my career as a teenage Software Engineer:
I have multiple mobile applications on the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=5019886976634706065 (That’s my store page). [I sadly don’t code IOS applications since the cost to publish apps in the Apple Store is so high]
I have a GitHub with few public repositories, and I even founded a Software Developing Organization named “Virtue Development” The organization has made over 2000$ revenue from a project I worked on named “Synced Online.”:
My GitHub: https://github.com/Shadowsych
Virtue Development GitHub: https://github.com/VirtueDev
Here is a summary of my extracurricular activities:
- Founder and CEO of Virtue Development (The organization has up to 10 people developing and moderating our games)
- Founder and President of a school club named “UNHP App Development” that has over 40+ members
- National Honors Society Member
- Spanish Honors Society Member
- Math Honors Society Member
- Head Software Engineer of school Robotics Team (I will be the Vice-President in my senior year)
- Chair for in school Mode United Nations
- Chair for a 200+ (biggest in the Dallas Fort Worth Area) named Dallas Area Model United Nations
- Co-founder and Vice-President of an in-school club named “Academic Athletes” that attends various competitions (let it be Hackathons, Chess tournaments, etc.)
- Co-founder and Vice-President of my school’s Destination Imagination club
- Reporter for my school’s Health Occupations of Students of America (HOSA) club
- Junior World Affair Council Member
Awards or Certifications:
- Google Play Developer Certification
- State competitor for UIL CX Debate 2 years in a row
- Baylor Model United Nations - Best Team Delegate as Belgium
- Arab League Model United Nations - Outstanding Delegate as Libya
- UIL Computer Science District Level Winner (1st place since 9th grade till now)
- District-level winner for HOSA Clinical Specialty for 2 years in a row
- NST (Nepali Society of Texas) Annual Essay Competition 1st Place
- Qualified for JWAC World Quest
- Robotics BEST Marketing Award (1st place)
- Math Mentors (tutoring in-school students from 7th to 12th grade on mathematics)
- NST Math Tutor (tutoring Nepali students math from 7th to 12th grade on mathematics)
- Agua Unida Volunteer (we raised up to $3000 for impoverished places in Latin America)
- Courtesy Corps for school HOSA competition
- Peace Day Adviser (for a program called Connect Teach) for Junior Worlds Affair Council
- Model United Nations event coordinator volunteer for Dallas competitions
- Computer Science tutor for scholars interested in learning about software
I’m planning to go for a Summer Internship this summer for a software-related position to boost my chances.
- Asian (Nepali) Male
- Low-income (lower than $40,000 annually)
Please chance me, UT is my dream school :).
I would love a percentage chance and possible explanations to what I need to improve/am doing good on.
Thank you for reading my post.