<p>I’ve been excepted to both UT Austin and U of A, and I’m really at a loss as to where I should go. I’ve been excepted as a Government major to UT Austin, and a Political Science major at U of A. However, no matter which school I go to, I would like to switch into the business school, as I’ve decided I’d like to be a Human Resources professional. This won’t be too difficult at U of A, but if I chose UT, I read the average GPA for transfers to the business college is 3.8. Had I applied to the business school instead of as a government major, I doubt I would have been accepted to UT, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to attain a 3.8 GPA my freshman year. So I really don’t know what to do about this…</p>
<p>The only reason I am considering UT is because I love Austin. I am a city girl, and I’ve been living in the suburbs for far too long, and Fayetteville just doesn’t seem quite like the right fit for me. But if I can’t into the business school at UT, I don’t know what I’ll do…</p>
<p>Does anyone have any advice? I’m so confused. Thank you!</p>
<p>Quite frankly, if you are serious about pursuing a degree in business then the University of Arkansas is a wonderful choice. You are correct when you state that it would be easier to major in business at Fayetteville—you could begin classes at the Sam M. Walton College of Business, named for the world’s largest corporation, your freshman year. The Walton College is a top 25 business institution of business in the nation as is UT-A, so the academic quality of the two schools is comparable. Additionally, Forbes Magazine ranked Fayetteville as 4th best in the nation for careers and business, surpassing Austin. Northwest Arkansas is home to more than 300 of the top Fortune 500 companies, which means there is tremendous job opportunity and growth in this area.</p>
<p>As for your fear that Fayetteville does not have enough of a “big city” feel to satisfy your city girl inclination, please do not worry about that. I know that Fayetteville is not as large as Austin, but we do have all the benefit of a larger city without many of the aggravations that go along with big city life. For example, I’ve never sat in traffic for hours on end waiting to go somewhere. Fayetteville’s diverse offering of music, shopping, outdoor activity, restaurants, etc. are sure to offer many distractions for you, as well as providing enjoyment. Twenty percent of the student population is from the state of Texas at the University of Arkansas and I’m sure many of these students had similar fears—do not discount Arkansas based on city size. For students seeking a business degree, Arkansas is a great affordable choice.</p>
<p>Yes, the average internal transfer into McCombs is something like a 3.8. But the minimum is only about a 3.6. They pretty much rank people by GPA and accept until they reach the desired number. Does a 3.6 sound more attainable? </p>
<p>I attend UT-Austin, but I am originally from Arkansas and have had many friends and relatives attend the U of A over the years. It is a fine school, especially the business school, and is very unappreciated here on CC. I do understand your concern about living in a smallish city, but Fayetteville offers quite a bit for its size. Most of us tend to do the same activities over and over anyway, and Fayetteville more than meets the needs of the typical college student. The area is quite beautiful.</p>
<p>You state that the only reason you are considering UT is because of Austin. While location is important, don’t let it override everything. Austin will still be here when you graduate, if you still want to live here. </p>
<p>Have you heard the expression, “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”? If you already qualify for the Walton School of Business, then why risk internal transfer to McCombs? Yes, McCombs is the higher ranked school and UT is overall as a university also, but that didn’t seem to be what was causing your indecision about where to attend. If financially it doesn’t matter, and you are only interested in UT due to location, and are already admitted into the business school at Arkansas, then I would go there.</p>